To Dry Hop or Not to Dry Hop...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Brewed this up two weeks ago and was thinking about dry hopping it:

5.5lb 2 row
4.5lb white wheat
1lb flaked wheat
Wyeast German Wheat 3333
60 min: .6oz Norther Brewer (pellet)
8 min: 1oz Citra (whole leaf)

This puts me at about 4.7% abv and 37-ish IBU's so I'm already out of Hefe territory hop-wise. I've got 2oz of Centennial, 2oz of Simcoe, 1oz Citra (pellets), and 1oz Willamette in the stockpile currently.

Any thoughts?

hercher

Reaction score
I wouldn't. Dry hopping (to me) increases the perception of hops, which would drag you even further from the style. Also, I'm not sure how well it would mesh with the clove & banana profile of your hefeweizen yeast.

drainbamage

Keep HBT weird.
Reaction score
If you were using a American yeast strain that fermented cleaner with less esters, I'd say go for it. You could end up with something like 3 Floyd's Gumballhead.

Like hercher said, I think dry hopping at this point with conflict too much with everything else.

OP
Upthewazzu

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Good points. My main question was "how far from a traditional Hefe do I want to take this?" Leaving it as is will give me a good idea of where I want to make changes next time around. Thanks for the advice!

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What's considered "traditional" anymore? If you're curious I say go for it & experiment then report back whether you though it was a good idea or not. I've had some hoppy wheat beers I've loved.