To dry hop or not? That is the question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
I am still dialing in my AG process and recently made the ale listed below. Right now i am at a BH efficiency of about 67% (still have a ways to go, but heading in the right direction) while batch sparging.

I just tasted my gravity reading which was at 1.011. I am going to let this sit on the yeast for another 3 days before cold crashing (assuming the readings don't go down much further). I like the overall taste right now, and wasn't planning on dry hopping, but i find the aroma a bit lacking.

I am going to list the recipe, and the hops i have on hand. I would like to get your thoughts on dry hopping.

Grain Bill
9lbs US 2 Row
4lbs Maris Otter
0.5lbs Caraamber

Mash
152F for 60 minutes
#1 Batch sparge with 2 quarts @ 168F
#2 Batch sparge with 17 quarts @ 168F
Pre-boil gravity: 1.055

Hop Additions:
0.25 oz Cascade @ 60
0.50 oz Simcoe @ 60
1.00 oz Cascade @ 10
0.50 oz Simcoe @ 10
0.75 oz Simcoe @ flameout
0.50 oz Cascade @ flameout
0.25 oz Northern Brewer @ flameout

Postboil gravity: 1.067

Fermentation
5.00 gallons
1 pack of Wyeast 1056 @ 65F

Current Gravity after 5 days: 1.011

Should i dry hop this? I was expecting a postboil gravity of 1.055, but ended up with 1.066. Likely a result of doing a much slower batch sparge.

These are the hops i have available (all pellets):
1.00 oz Cascade
0.75 oz Centennial
1.50 oz Galaxy
1.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh
0.50 oz Pride of Ringwood
3.50 oz Summit
0.50 oz Willamette

All the Cascade, Centennial and Galaxy. Boom. Also, maybe on the next batch flip the cascade and Northern Brewer additions as cascade is kind of a waste for bittering and NB doesn't bring a lot to the table with other hops in late additions.

So i did.

I tasted a gravity reading prior to dry hop, and had a sip today (might still be a little green).

It tastes like dirt. Literally. It tastes like drinking muddy water.
Prior to dry hopping it had a crisp, clear, slightly citrussy flavor with a mild floral aroma and a balanced bitterness. Now it tastes really sad. :(

Package it up, let it carb and condition for 3 weeks, and I bit it will taste great.

In my experience, aside from providing assurance that the batch hasn't become infected, tasting samples before packaging reveals very little useful information about what the beer will be like when it's actually ready to drink.

Back