To cut or not to cut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air_Force_FE

Reaction score
Y hop trellis is 8 feet tall and the vines are growing over the top of it. I was wondering would it be beneficial to cut the top or try to reroute the vines back down the rope? If the vine rewraps over previous vines on the way down will it kill the first vine that grew up.

You don't really have to do anything. It'll get top heavy and fall over. Once it falls over it'll start climbing back up itself. More time for you to enjoy some fine ale!

This is what I am talking about.

image-2709087100.jpg

image-302849719.jpg

The only thing you have to be concerned about is that the top will be a big tangle. Most of the hops will form on the upper 2/3 of the vine (some varieties differ). If you pinch the tops you'll lose a whole bunch of production from that additional 10 feet that would have grown if the trellis was higher. It's your call but I don't think you'll encourage additional sidearm growth on the lower 8 feet that's already up as only two sidearms form at each node (each set of leaves) so you can't really coax the plant into producing additional sidearms. You could clip one or two and compare them to the unclipped ones. Keep us posted!

Will do I'll clip the two at the top and see what happens. My first year growing hops and this is my best plant.

I don't know what you have planted but it would be nice to be able to test on two of the same variety due to the fact that not all varieties like growing in the same area. I really can't grow any aroma varieties where I live but I haven't tried them all yet. One of these days! Good luck.

hallertauer, tet northern brewer, cascade, and willimate. The ones in the pictures are hallertauer, and are doing the best. I'll cut one stem on the same plant just to see what it does. I wish I had more hight to grow them. But the wife is already pussed about the 8 foot plants. Lol

Well trying I trim one I knocked the other one down. So two of them on one plant will be cut and I'll let you know what happens.

I had the same problem this year. I just looped the bines back down. I'll let them grow downwards and see how far they get.

Did it do any damage to the lower vine and are you producing hops on the upper part that has looped down.

Back