To cold crash or not cold crash (during a heat wave)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I have a pale ale, which is in its 3rd week in primary and due to be bottled in Friday.
Typically I cold crash 2 days before I bottle.
However this week the temp is calling for high 80's - low 90's.
My basement is up to 70.
I usually just surround my bucket with ice as a method of cold crashing
I don't know how cold I will get the bucket or for how long o can keep it cold.

Since every batch I have made I have cold crashed I have no idea how cloudy it will be if I don't.
But I do like clear beer

Is it worth the effort?

Meh. I wouldn't go to too much trouble, but that's just me. I guess it depends on how much you like clear beer.

It'll clear up in fridge in the serving keg/bottles any way, right?

If you don't mind the work then it'll be worth the effort. Just maybe insulate it a bit more than you have in the past to let the ice last longer and you'll be fine.

This week you may not be able to get it down to the preferred 35-45, but in my mind, anything below current temps will help. Could also add some gelatin after an overnight cold to help out.

Unless ice is expensive or you're feeling lazy, I would go ahead and do your normal procedure. Shouldn't hurt to cold crash only partway, if that's what happens. (Me, I'd be lazy.)

Back