To Brett or Not To Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBhomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got this RIS...

This is what went in the fermenter...

Grist from Ron's 2019 recipe:
60% Maris Otter
20% Brown Malt
10.5% Black Malt
9.5% Invert #4
Came in a touch over target at 1.099 OG

A bit of baking soda in the mash for an estimated 5.55 pH.

Kettle salts to reach an estimated
88/7/40/99/109
Ca/Mg/Na/Cl/SO4

Hops riffed off Kristen's 2012 recipe:
FWH Fuggle 11 or 19IBU
60 Fuggle 32IBU
30 Mittlefrüh 19IBU

If the FWH are calculated as boil time +10%, the calc accepted as providing actual IBUs, overall bitterness comes to 70IBU.

If the FWH are calculated as if they were a 20m addition, purported by some to represent perceived bitterness, it comes to 62IBU.

The gravity sample was syrupy and sweet. Chocolate, coffee, toffee. All dark versions of those flavors. Definitely roasty, but not overpowering the others. Bitterness was clearly present, but still underneath the sweetness.

Pitched Notty last night at a controlled 60°F

Bubbles in the blowoff this morning, no more than 8hrs post-pitch.

A 1914 Courage Imperial on Notty that's hit terminal gravity a bit high at 1.036. It tastes good, especially today after Monday's dry hop, but I wasn't going for pastry sweet.

Historically, this would've seen brett so I'm thinking I might as well give it a try.

Any suggestions or tips? I'm thinking 1.036 leaves enough for the brett to work, yes?

Brett C? I understand it's a low attenuator as far as bretts go, maybe bringing it down to the low 20s?

Preferred lab?

What say you, hive mind?

Answer A) the answer is always Brett

Answer B) 1.036 does not mean pastry sweet. I've got a pastry stout that FINISHED at 1.074 (starting upwards of 1.160). Jamming enough IBUs into it, it's very sweet but not cloying.

Basically Brett or don't. I wouldn't sweat it.

Alright, maybe pastry sweet was a bit of hyperbole.

Reading The Mad Fermentalist's tasting notes on his 1.040, I think I'm going to let this one be and bottle it clean. Hamlet didn't go through with it either.

Back