To bottle, or not to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Hebrewsgoyim

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
11
My Belgian Witbier is still bubbling oh so slowly. But I am in secondary. I haven't had anything produce CO2 for this long. When I changed out the fermenter ball for the second time however, it had very little trub. So my question is, do I go ahead and bottle on schedule? Which is Wednesday. Or should I wait for another week to see how it is progressing? I suppose a Gravity reading would be in order. I used a yeast starter in this batch for the first time. I did not aerate my wort. I am concerned that the yeast isn't getting enough oxygen. Although the first 24 hours in primary was supercharged. But it has slowed to a crawl after that. I really don't want to fowl this batch. It is my favorite style of beer. any advice is appreciated.
 

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
39,152
Reaction score
3,797
Location
Sheffield
Once the fermenting beer gets past initial fermentation, the highly active part, it'll slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. Do a hydrometer test, then check it again on the 3rd day. If the numbers match, it's done.
 
OP
H

Hebrewsgoyim

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
11
I took a final gravity...1.011. With an initial of 1.050. So it's 5.1% abv. Which is perfect! It tastes amazing as well! Thanks all for your help!
 

McGarnigle

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
2,012
Reaction score
95
Location
NYS
If it's still bubbling, then no, don't bottle (although it's possible the bubbling is off-gassing).

1.011... did you get that same reading days apart?

How long ago did you brew this?
 
OP
H

Hebrewsgoyim

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
11
I brewed it almost 3 weeks ago. It's at 5.1% abv and recipe said it would be a 5.0% abv. So I think I am spot on. It is definitely my favorite batch so far. Brewed a California common today and I am in the middle of brewing an American Amber ale. But I am pretty beat. I bottled a cream ale with peach purè first. It was excellent! So I will have 4 batches worth of beer in 3 weeks.
 

McGarnigle

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
2,012
Reaction score
95
Location
NYS
OK, but be careful. The ABVs listed aren't guaranteed, and it's possible the yeast is still working (which would explain the bubbling). If this is true, you'll have bottle bombs.

However, the fact that you brewed three weeks ago is a good sign, as it would be unusual for it to still be going that long.
 

ncbrewer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
1,260
Location
New Bern
I'll repeat what has already been suggested - two gravity readings 2 - 3 days apart. If they match, you're done. If not, wait. FG being what the recipe predicted doesn't guaranty it's done. If you bottle before it's finished, it will keep fermenting and could result in bottle bombs. It's not worth the risk.
 

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Joined
Aug 10, 2015
Messages
8,160
Reaction score
15,991
Location
Long Island
I'll repeat what has already been suggested - two gravity readings 2 - 3 days apart. If they match, you're done. If not, wait. FG being what the recipe predicted doesn't guaranty it's done. If you bottle before it's finished, it will keep fermenting and could result in bottle bombs. It's not worth the risk.
OP listen to this:mug:
Your small airlock activity could just be gas coming out of solution due to pressure or temperature changes. To be sure fermentation is done check your gravity.
 
OP
H

Hebrewsgoyim

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
11
So took another reading today. Spot on 1.011 48 hours apart. Houston, we are ready for lift off! Again, thank you all for the help!
 
Top