To Bottle or not to Bottle????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
Ok, I have a blonde that has been in the carboy fermenting for about 8 days. My starting gravity was 1.053 and after 8 days the gravity is 1.010. Should i let it ferment out some more or should i go ahead and bottle it?

It's probably done fermenting. Depends on how clear you want the beer to be. Leaving it for another week or so will let it clean up after themselves.

Give it another week or two. The additional time will give the yeast time to clean up after themselves giving you a better tasting brew over all. I typically do not bottle a batch until it has been in primary for a month. Since I started waiting a month I noticed a significant improvement in the quality of my beer. If I really need to get something bottled I wait no less than 18 days before bottling. :mug:

I generally wait till it reaches a stable FG. However long that may take. Then give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more. Sometimes,even 7 days or more if it's not flocculating well. Then rack to bottling bucket & bulk prime to style.

Ok, I have a blonde that has been in the carboy fermenting for about 8 days. My starting gravity was 1.053 and after 8 days the gravity is 1.010. Should i let it ferment out some more or should i go ahead and bottle it?

You should let it ferment out as far as it will before you commit to bottling. While that sounds like a decent FG, I have had one that went to 1.002 before the yeast quit. Had I bottled it too soon I would have had overcarbonation at least and a possibility for a bottle bomb or so. None of my beers see a bottle until 3 weeks have passed anymore. The ones I did early in the hobby taught me well.

If you are in no hurry, then I would let it go for 4+ weeks in primary and no seconday. I would let the yeast do its thing and they will clean up everything.

Back