To boil, or not to boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking of doing it, as a comparative experiment. Two identical batches, one where I boil the honey and water and one with no heat.

Normally, I do not heat at all.

Unless you're making a bochet it's not advised to boil your honey or must.

1. Honey is naturally sanitary, it's antimicrobial and antibacterial so there is no need to "sterilize" it.

2. Honeys flavors and aromas are composed of volatile compounds, they are very sensitive to heat, boiling causes most of the subtle characteristics of the honey to be lost, honey is expensive why let what you pay for go up in steam?

If you wanna experiment with it, instead of making a full batch of mead, thoroughly mix about a pound of honey in a quart of water, split it in half, bring one sample up to a boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes, then let it cool so both samples are the same temp, then smell and taste them both and note the differences.

The reason boiling is acceptable in a bochet is because the goal is to completely change to flavor profile of the honey, as it caramelizes it picks up a range from marshmallow to dark toffee notes and a bunch inbetween.

Take it from TheBrewingMedic, I have boiled the taste right out of honey a few times before I realized all that he says is quite true. Honey rocks and if you want the true flavor it goes in after the wort coolin'

I don't doubt for a second it's bad to heat it. I'm just one of those who have to test everything himself. :p

Hmm.. now I am quite curious..

Per Ken Schramm's first mead attempt show mead recipe, I boiled mine the first time and the honey (really awesome tasting orange blossom honey) still retained quite a bit of flavor and aroma. Now I am wondering what it would be like had I not...

Good thing I have a few carboys and plenty of honey left :rockin: I cant wait to make another batch and see the difference!!

Back