To blow-off, or not to blow-off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonamfortuna

Reaction score
So I was planning on setting up a blow-off tube on my glass carboys, however the tubing that I purchased was the wrong diameter and would not fit on my airlocks. My beer has been fermenting for two days now and the krausen is trying to escape out the top of the airlock. Is it too late to purchase the correct size tubing and set up a blow off now?

Never too late. Instead of getting the size to fit your airlocks....simply get the larger size that will fit into the neck of your carboy.

Use 1" ID plastic tubing. Look for it at Home Depot..... it will fit the carboy neck perfect.

Sanitize it well also first.

Buy it. You will need it next time at the very least. I always use a blow off for the first week. Better safe than sorry. At worst it doesn't make your beer worse. Absolutely no reason I can think of not to use a blow off if you have one.

logan3825 said:
Buy it. You will need it next time at the very least. I always use a blow off for the first week. Better safe than sorry. At worst it doesn't make your beer worse. Absolutely no reason I can think of not to use a blow off if you have one.

Agreed....you cad also attach 1/2" or 3/8" ID to the bottom part of a three piece airlock.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never thought about using a 1" blow off. That's huge. Does it work well? I ended up using a 1/2" ID tubing shoved over the base of my airlock.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never thought about using a 1" blow off. That's huge. Does it work well? I ended up using a 1/2" ID tubing shoved over the base of my airlock.

That's all I ever use now. I've had too many airlock blow-outs.

Back