To all Canadian brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Since Paddockwood shut its doors I've heard a lot of grumbling about getting Canadian ingredients. My HBS owner in Winnipeg has, of course, become a friend of mine. His store is small, but he has a nice selection of grains, hops, adjuncts, and liquid yeasts. He also sells extract + grain kits, pre-hopped kits, and probably even straight LME if you want. Not a lot of good parts though. Some rudimentary kegging stuff and that's about it.

He hasn't really been doing any mail order so his website isn't set up for ordering at all. He doesn't even have price lists, and while he would prefer you ordered enough to make it worth his while, he said he'd ship orders as low as $20 (before shipping costs) to get your business. Right now his mail order stuff isn't worth the time update his website.

Anyway, I'll answer any questions if you want to PM me or ask here, but in the end you'll contact him directly if you want to order. I'm only after the 'atta-boy' from helping you poor bastards get stock and to ensure that my guy makes enough money to stay in business.

His current page is http://www.grapeandgrain.ca

We do need more online retailers...Paddock Woods was the main home brewing online option us poor Canucks had. I live close to the head office of Vineco they supply LME to the majority of LHBS in my area. I get the majority of my ingredients from them.

BeerCanuck

BeerCanuck said:
We do need more online retailers...Paddock Woods was the main home brewing online option us poor Canucks had. I live close to the head office of Vineco they supply LME to the majority of LHBS in my area. I get the majority of my ingredients from them.

BeerCanuck

From that link you posted, it looks like they only sell pre-hopped kits. Do they sell grains, hops and liquid yeast, BeerCanuck?

I did preliminary research into opening a Canadian full service online brew store. With the current intra-Canada shipping rates it is almost impossible without a decentralised distribution network.

You would need between three and four warehouses and shipping points to make it viable. This adds significant complexity and cost. While not impossible to pull off, it would likely require a partnership. With partners, comes reduced profits.

We are more likely to see online brew stores set up to service regional areas.

Yeah. I've seen his website. I've been sticking with this side of the country, but I always keep my eyes open.

Fingers said:
From that link you posted, it looks like they only sell pre-hopped kits. Do they sell grains, hops and liquid yeast, BeerCanuck?
They do sell unhopped LME to local LHBS in my area...I like there Brew Canada Blond for prehopped

ps..Another promising site Woodstick Wines (there website could use some improvement but they do have a larger selection and they use Canada post for shipping and the owner responded to all my email inquiries promptly.

BeerCanuck

mike kennedy said:
mr.x, im in PEI, and cant find anything in "this side of the country". would you be able to provide some links??
Now, when I say this side of the country, I mean from Ottawa east.

The website is french, and their english isn't the best, but they are very friendly and I have ordered from them before. No paypal, just send them a cheque when you get your package.:mug:
http://www.grainsmaltes.com/

These guys are slow to answer e-mail (so maybe phone them), but I have ordered from them twice no problems. They ship Fed-ex, not overly expensive, and stuff arrives quick.
http://www.skinaneybrewing.com/

I just placed and order with these guys. Visa or cheque.
http://www.biereetvin.com/english/english.htm

Ya I order from Skinaneybrewing myself and find then a little slow but I get my stuff with no problems. I've made arrangements to drive to his place and pickup the stuff as I live in Kingston Ontario and the drive is about 1 hour and 20 min or so. Saves on shipping costs for sure.... plus him and his wife are very nice.

Back