To add more yeast or not...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
I made three gallons of mead with 10 lbs of honey. OG was 1.111. It's been fermenting for a month, just moved to secondary, and now it's at 1.025. I want a dry mead, as I plan on dividing this into three one gallon size batches and adding different fruit, herbs and spices. Should I pitch some champagne yeast or some other yeast to dry this out? I've added yeast nutrient already...

Kinda depends on what yeast is already in it.

I would not rack to secondary unless I was within a few points of my target.

I used Lalvin K1-V1116. Already racked to secondary, though. Didn't actually look at my gravity ready till the transfer was started. Trying to free up a bucket for a brew this weekend.

It's not a yeast problem. Well it is, but it's your yeast problem :)

k1v1116 tolerates to 18%, says their ad copy. To go from your OG (1.111) to dead dry (0.996 or so) will yield 15% abv, just about. Hard to say if you may have overshot just a little with your honey/water ratio, as honeys vary greatly with regards to sugar content. You're close, though. And it's gonna slow down as it reaches the end, because your yeast are getting drunker and drunker (I know right? I'm jealous too!)

GinKings had it - the secret is time. The only compromise I can think of would be to boil and cool half a gallon or a gallon of water and pour it on top of your secondary - Sugars diluted, lower ABV (by what, 15 or 25%? I stink at math) the yeast will finish out without being sauced.

So, even though it's in secondary, I should just let it sit there and see if the yeast are still chomping away at the sugar? Should I toss in some yeast energizer?

Alright, I tossed some yeast energizer in it then shook it up this afternoon. I'll give it two or three weeks, see if the gravity has dropped any. If it's still high, I'm pitching in some champagne yeast.

Latest posts

Back