To 2nd or Not to 2nd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLEEPYDUB

Reaction score
That is the question...

I have my brew fermenting right now at about 68-70* in my closet. Its just past its violent fermenting stage. I am going to be adding a cheesecloth of roasted coconut to the concoction but have a question.

Should i just wait till about 4 days b4 i decided to bottle it to add the coconut, and just add it to the primary? Or should i 2nd ferment after 2 weeks of it being in the primary, and then 2nd ferment for another 2 weeks and add the coconut 4 days b4 bottling?

I would let it go about two weeks in the primary, then go to secondary. This will give the yeast to eat some of their own byproducts that can cause odd flavors. I have no idea how well coconut infuses, but about a week in the secondary would probably be a good starting point. Let us know how the coconut beer ends up!

If you weren't going to be using the coconut I'd say to leave it in the primary until you're ready to bottle, however this is not the case. Each time I've seen someone use fruit to flavour a beer they've racked ontop of it into a secondary so I think you're on the right track if you leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks and then into the secondary for 2 weeks.

I am curious as to what coconut beer would be like. What is the base...a wheat or malt (or rice?) concoction?

Do you have a recipe are are you just winging it? I am quite interested!!

im just winging it, but its a malt base. Just a basic english porter with roasted coconut, hopefully it will turn out to be drinkable...

ill let you guys know how it goes...
this is my first batch btw, so dont expect to much lol

im just winging it, but its a malt base. Just a basic english porter with roasted coconut, hopefully it will turn out to be drinkable...

ill let you guys know how it goes...
this is my first batch btw, so dont expect to much lol

Sounds good to me, a Coconut Porter isn't a bad combination, there are plenty of coconut stouts, etc out there.

Yeah... that's was definately a Harry Nilsson song long before it was covered by Jimmy Buffett. Just, you know, FYI.

Agreed.

I just threw up a bit in my mouth. I think the song is supposed to go:

You put the lime in the tequila and the coconut in the trash...

Sorry. Just the smell of coconut makes me gag.

Back