Tis the season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any rituals that they do with or without family around this time? My family and I watch National Lampoons Christmas vacation on Christmas eve. It's kind of like or Night Before Christmas story. We have watched this move so many times that my sister and I can recite the movie by heart.

My wife and I might start watching Hog Father and The Fright Before Christmas. Her family is a bunch of flakes and mine is far, far away.

Not so much a ritual, but my wife and I typically watch Christmas Vacation at least once during the holiday season. It's one of her favorite movies, and I laugh everytime I watch it.

My wife and I might start watching Hog Father and The Fright Before Christmas. Her family is a bunch of flakes and mine is far, far away.

Sucks when family is far away. I have a few Buddys that have no family near them either. We usually get together for the ugly Christmas sweater contest. The winner of the contest wins a huge summer sausage. I brewed an IPA for the event this year, and it was all gone in two hours.

We're always watching either "A Christmas Story" or "It's a Wonderful Life." Christmas Vacation is a little too rough around the edges with my two young daughters running around the house.

I also like to read Gift of the Magi on Christmas eve to the family. That's a deep family tradition.

When I was a teenager many moons ago, my mom would make lasagna and garlic bread for Christmas eve dinner. Then my dad would break out a bottle of Morgan David Concord Grape (screw off cap) and everybody would get a small glass of it with dinner. Then the bottle would go back under the kitchen counter till the next year. I think they must have got 2-3 years out of each bottle! :D

In my case, far, far away was a choice. The rest of my family are fundies. I haven't been in a church since my mother died in 2000.

For some reason, years ago, the wife and I started listening to The Doors when we were decorating the tree. It stuck and is now a tradition we have continued with my daughter who is now 16.

My father started the tradition with us having an empty place setting at all holiday meals for those soldiers who are not able to be with their families. Not too unique since lot of people do that one but I think it's a good one.

we have several traditions.

movies that must be watched at least twice:
Christmas Vacation
Elf
It's a Wonderful Life
and, most importantly, A Christmas Story

foods that must be consumed:
Fruit Soup
Lutefisk
Lefse
Spritz cookies
Krumkake

being Scandinavian, we do Christmas Eve much bigger than Christmas Day.

(a little late, but the biggest Thanksgiving tradition is listening to Alice's Restaurant)

check it

156175_1480237486178_1241010203_31140335_37751_n.jpg

Our tradition is to put the kids in bed, then stay up way too friggin late putting the massive amounts of gifts that my wife bought them under the tree. Then going to bed way too late and getting up way to early to blearily watch them open said massive amounts of gifts.

One year when my oldest was like 5 or so, she stopped opening gifts and with a sigh said, "There is too many presents!"

I looked at my wife, and she looked the other way.

We always watch Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story every year at least once. We also read A Visit From St Nicholas on Christmas Eve. SWMBO & I used to take turns until a couple of years ago when our daughter asked if she could read it. Now she reads it every year.

Up until last year, our other big tradition was running all over CNY like our hair was on fire to visit all the family... breakfast at my Mom's, lunch at my Grandmother's and dinner at my MIL's. Since we are now 1000 miles away, that 'tradition' is no longer observed. Don't get me wrong, I love and miss my family, but it is kinda nice to be able to relax and let our daughter play with her new toys instead of running the marathon!

My wife's family has a "pre" Christmas with her father's side the week before (it's this saturday). They do a "dirty" gift exchange every year. Last year, we got a teddy bear that single jingle bells then opens her shirt and says "now look at my tits". My family really doesn't have an "traditions" worth mentioning. We all get together of course, which is a tradition in itself. No "dirty" stuff though. ;)

(a little late, but the biggest Thanksgiving tradition is listening to Alice's Restaurant)

I have this wierd knack for getting in my car and turning on the radio right as they start it. This year, I was heading to my in-laws and I literally heard the DJ say "Enjoy" and bam... it started. It's strange.

Several in our house:

- Playing Christmas music and drinking Bailey's while putting up the tree

- On Christmas Eve, putting a red light (usually a votive candle w/ a red glass cover) in the front window: traditionally done to let travelers know "there's room at the inn"

- Waking up the house on Christmas morning by playing "The Glorious Sounds of Christmas" album

As I was growing up, every Christmas Eve, my father would read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to me before bed. Four years ago, I first read it to my wife's pregnant belly. I've been reading it to my son every Christmas eve since.

Also, though I don't do this every year, I try to watch Die Hard while wrapping presents.

"My wife and I might start watching Hog Father" - David_42

I enjoy Terry Pratchet and Discworld, but Hog Father is tough to sit though.

For us its A Christmas Story.

Back