Tired of waiting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Think I'm done with bottling. Tired of waiting 4+ weeks for beer to carb up. Even my lower gravity Honey Weizen isboast 3 weeks and still not ready. Is this why mist of you now keg?

I keg because I hate cleaning and sanitizing and filling x 50. The wait until the beer is ready isn't something to rush regardless of kegs or bottles.

i keg because it takes 15 minutes (most of which i'm watching tv) rather then spending 1.5-2 hours dedicated to bottling. since i almost always do 10 gallon batches, it's 20-25 minutes ( i have both kegs sanitizing at the same time). i save 1/2 a day. as far as i'm concerned, kegged beer tastes better, and is definitely more evenly carbed throughout the batch.

Um, I hate to break it to you, but the most experienced brewers STILL let their beers mature in their kegs for 2-3 weeks. Just because you can get it in a vessel, and get gas in it is no gaurentee that it still won't taste like a$$ for a few weeks.

Um, I hate to break it to you, but the most experienced brewers STILL let their beers mature in their kegs for 2-3 weeks. Just because you can get it in a vessel, and get gas in it is no gaurentee that it still won't taste like a$$ for a few weeks.

Agreed, however drawing a couple ounces off to test the carb level is a whole lot easier than popping open a whole bottle.

Would I be a jerk if I called Northern Brewer or any other homebrew store that makes kits and ***** about their stated 1-2 weeks in the bottle then enjoy claim? It's very misleading to those of us with little experience. I thought for sure my Honey Wheat would be ready 3 1/2 weeks later for July 4th weekend.

A wheat beer should be ready in half that time. But it's not just about the carbonation. Beer has to age a few weeks to be really good. Doesn't matter if you keg or bottle. And I've got some pretty good beer in bottles. It's more ingredient quality & good process that makes good beer.
It takes me the better part of 2 months,maybe a tad more to get good beer all around. I think many folks proceed under the false assumption that kegging gets the brew ready to drink faster,not just easier. It's not just about the bubbles. I can't stress this enough.
Now that I've got a good bottling process down pat,I'm beginning to enjoy it. It also forces me to be patient. I have to wait for good beer,not just shoot it full of bubbles & guzzle away. I know some are doing just that when I look at the "post your pint" thread. A good amount of cloudy beers that I can see were rushed on some part(s) of the process. You can't rush quality. Do it right,or leave it the hell alone,as ZZ Top would say. This ain't hooch anymore,folks.

I bottle because I have a lot of bottles and because I can have 9 different beers in my frig at any one time and pick what I feel like drinking at any time. Since this is a love of work hobby, I have no problem with the cleaning and filling process. It gives me quality time with my hobby/brewery

Here here! Well said! I think one just has to streamline the process. Get it to where you're not stooping down,reaching over shoulder height,or getting up & down. Since I have carpel tunnel in both hands up to my neck,& a bad L2 disc,I need all the easy I can get.
It also makes it easier to enjoy the process as a whole.

Not sure how I'm rushing the process. I'm using Coopers carb tabs. My last batch (NB Three Hearted) took 4 weeks, at 7.5 abv I thought it pretty normal. Just wasn't expecting the wheat to take this long. Had a Wit done in 2 weeks. Guess I'm just wondering if something is wrong or what makes one beer carb differently than another.

I wasn't so much referring to you personally,just went with the flow of replies with what I've seen on here. But I do think it has something to do with the amount of viable yeast left in suspension,& how readily available the form of priming sugar is,besides temp.
I was using cooper's carbonation drops up until the last 2 brews my wife & I did. Bulk priming seemed to speed up the conditioning process vs the carb drops. The carb drops took a good 4 weeks to be exceptable,whereas the bulk prime was way better in 11 days flat. A week or two after that,with the o2 caps,& the quality of malt/hop flavors was outstanding.
Seems like the priming "sugar water" works some 2x's as fast as a solid sugar lozenge that needs to dissolve 1st. At least,ime it comes out that way.
I think the amount of un-fermentables plays a roll in this as well. In other words,how much fermentable sugars are their from priming vs un-fermentable flavor.mouth feel,color sugars? I know that doesn't sound sensible,but I'm trying to find a way to say it...

Think I understand. I've always been afraid of batch priming, not sure if I've mixed it enough without introducing oxygen in the beer. I'll see what kind of caps I have also, think they're silver from Williams Homebrew supplies.

I use a bulk priming calculator,siphon a couple inches of beer into the bottling bucket,then slowly pour the priming solution into the stream. When done siphoning,stir gently,slowly maybe 12 times. let me see if I still have the bag. They come in silver or gold,& the label says "BBA LDC Crown Caps Oxygen Barr (barrier?)". They come 144 caps to a bag for $3.95. About a buck more than regular caps.
Spend the extra buck,you'll def taste & smell the difference!:mug::ban:

Back