Tips on maintaining fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fermenting my first batch of brew (American Pale Ale) and the fermentation temp says 65-68F. Having trouble keeping it that warm in my drafty apartment. Any tips on how to maintain a slightly warmer temp without overheating? Im sitting at like 62F now.

Is your apartment 62 F or the fermenting beer? What yeast are you using? Beer will ferment at several degrees warmer than the ambient air temperature. My house is generally in the low 60's, but my fermentation temps are usually in the mid to upper 60's.

Keeping your fermenter off the floor will help. I often put a down jacket or vest over my carboy. You could use blankets or a sleeping bag.

The fermostat read 62F. I moved it to another location in the apartment where it feels less drafty. Stuffed an old beach towel underneath for some floor insulation. Thanks for the tip. Going to give it a little while and see if it bumps up a few degrees.

A Few things you could do, 1) if your vents are in the floor and your fermenting in a bucket or carboy, put the vessel right next to or even partially covering a vent, 2) buy a cheap electric blanket and wrap the vessel, OR 3) don't worry about it, leave it alone and just let it ride. Check gravity in a week before racking to secondary (or don't rack to secondary at all) and be amazed at how much has happened. I haven't been brewing for all that long myself, but what I have learned after being told time and time again by my brew buddies is, the yeasties know what to do, we just need to stay out of their way so they can do it. I'm sure your APA will be very tasty. Welcome to the addiction.

don't forget the full on crazy option of building a fermentation chamber. Just an insulated box, a heat lamp in a paint can, an electric fan and a thermostat control....:)

The fermostat read 62F. I moved it to another location in the apartment where it feels less drafty. Stuffed an old beach towel underneath for some floor insulation. Thanks for the tip. Going to give it a little while and see if it bumps up a few degrees.

I would have left it right where it was. If the fermometer indicated 62 degrees then the internal temp of the beer will more than likely be higher.

don't forget the full on crazy option of building a fermentation chamber. Just an insulated box, a heat lamp in a paint can, an electric fan and a thermostat control....:)

This is always a great option. .lol

If your wort is at 62F, you might want to give it a bump of a few degrees if possible, although temperature control is most critical in the first 24 hrs. If you're going to make a temp increase, it should be slowly. Wide swings in temp are not advised. Going forward, you could rig something as simple as a plastic garbage can or tote over your fermenter with a light bulb inside on a timer. Generally, you can gradually increase the ambient temp as exothermic activity decreases toward the end of your ferm.

This batch will be fine. :)

Back