Tips on first cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsaxon90

Reaction score
I just began cold crashing my IPA. Dry hopped it for 6 days, fermented for 7 days prior to dry hopping. This is my first time cold crashing. Is it okay that I wrapped the opening of the carbon with Saran Wrap? I know as the beer gets colder it will suck in, but if the Saran Wrap has it sealed, will there be a problem? Hoping the cold crashing with add clarity to my beer, because there's a lot of Krausen. Thanks guys

Good question, I just cold crashed with the air lock on, it's only star San :)

Any reason that you decided to use saran wrap instead of an airlock? I would worry that the seal from the saran wrap would break as the beer cooled.

Any reason that you decided to use saran wrap instead of an airlock? I would worry that the seal from the saran wrap would break as the beer cooled.

It's simply because I have run out of Star San. I'm going to pick more up today, but my airlock would have un-sanitized water in it. I've read about people using aluminum foil to cover it as well, but that would still allow oxygen into the carboy. Just trying to avoid oxidizing the beer as much as possible, since I dry hopped it a good bit.

Back