Tips on doing split boil extract batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking999

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have conceded that in my situation (electric stove, gas burners forbidden), I'm not going to be able to do a legitimate full boil for a 5 gallon batch. Heat sticks would be an option, but the frequency of BOLD RED TEXT in the instructions makes me a wee bit nervous.

I may do some smaller batches, but I'd also like to try splitting the recipe into two kettles on two separate burners, and then combine them after the boil. My understanding is that this would be about the same as a full boil in one kettle, except for the extra step of combining the wort. Is that right? Most people on here seem to think hot side aeration won't be a problem, so I'm not worried about that when combining the batches. Are there any other dangers in boiling this way?

If I'm using a counterflow chiller (I haven't used one before, but I intend to for this boil method), do I need to combine the wort into one pot and then chill all at once, or can I chill the one kettle's wort, put it into the fermenter, and then chill the other kettle's wort on top of it?

Splitting a 5 gallon boil into two 2.5 boils is an easy way for someone in your situation to get the same benefits of a full boil without the additional equipment. You have the process right. The only real additional danger is that you have to watch for two boilovers instead of one. Not a big deal.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your CFC to chill the contents of one pot and then the other. You might want to cover the second pot with sanitized tinfoil, especially if your CFC takes a while. If it's relatively quick (~15 minutes) it's not really a concern.

although, two pots with 2.5gallons each can be cooled in a water bath very easily and quickly. possibly better to go that route than working with a CFC.

although, two pots with 2.5gallons each can be cooled in a water bath very easily and quickly. possibly better to go that route than working with a CFC.

Unfortunately, my sink can only fit one pot, and my tub is too big even if I put both in there. The tub would end up with too high a water to ice ratio unless I used an obscene amount of ice (like 8+ bags).

Back