Tips on diacetyl tests and cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianwilli

Reaction score
This is my first post and my first attempt at brewing as well. I am in the middle of doing a Vienna Lager. So far the beer has been fermenting for 15 days at 48-49 degrees F in a beer meister. Based on my original and final gravity readings, it appeared it is almost done fermenting. Just today I took it out and set it in my basement (60-65 degrees) to do the diacetyl rest for 3-5 days. My next step was then going to be a cold crash at 40 degrees for a week, then racking the beer into a secondary bucket, adding the corn sugar, and bottling. Then from what I've read, I would leave the bottles at fermenting temperature (48 degrees) for 6 days to do the carbonation, then lager them around 32 degrees for 3-4 weeks. Any input on my process here would be much appreciated!

your beer will take a long time to carbonate at 48 degrees, you want to store your bottled beer at 70 degrees for 4 weeks or more. if they are properly carbonated then you can cold store them. when you say rack to a secondary i assume you will be leaving it in there for some period of time, not adding priming sugar and bottling right away?

It kind of sounds like you are not going to secondary, but rather rack to a bottling bucket? Most lagers are Lagered in secondary in at a cold temp. Do you have the means to do that? If so I'd do it for at least 4 weeks, 6 or 7 might be better. Then after lagering you can bottle with corn sugar, and bottle condition (carbonate) at ale temps.

I have a Vienna also that I just racked to a keg this morning. I'm dropping it 3 degrees a day until it hits 35. Then it will hang out there till the first day of spring (thus the name). No diacetyl, yea! I used Munich Lager yeast which almost finished in 4 days, but had lots of diacetyl. Went a little long on the rest, but I wanted it gone.

your beer will take a long time to carbonate at 48 degrees, you want to store your bottled beer at 70 degrees for 4 weeks or more. if they are properly carbonated then you can cold store them. when you say rack to a secondary i assume you will be leaving it in there for some period of time, not adding priming sugar and bottling right away?[/QUOTE

What I have is a second "bucket" that I was going to set as the bottling bucket. I planned on lagering my beer in the bottles. Can I lager my beer in a bucket?

It kind of sounds like you are not going to secondary, but rather rack to a bottling bucket? Most lagers are Lagered in secondary in at a cold temp. Do you have the means to do that? If so I'd do it for at least 4 weeks, 6 or 7 might be better. Then after lagering you can bottle with corn sugar, and bottle condition (carbonate) at ale temps.

I have a Vienna also that I just racked to a keg this morning. I'm dropping it 3 degrees a day until it hits 35. Then it will hang out there till the first day of spring (thus the name). No diacetyl, yea! I used Munich Lager yeast which almost finished in 4 days, but had lots of diacetyl. Went a little long on the rest, but I wanted it gone.
I do not have the means of lagering in a secondary. I was planning on lagering in bottles unless a bucket would work?

What I have is a second "bucket" that I was going to set as the bottling bucket. I planned on lagering my beer in the bottles. Can I lager my beer in a bucket?

You really should not do any lagering in a bucket- it's got a wide headspace and you'd risk oxidizing the beer. Lagering in the bottle works. What I would do is bottle the beer after the diacetyl rest, and then allow the beer to carb up for a couple of weeks at room temperature. After the beer is carbed up, then the bottles can be stuck in cold storage for the lagering period. That will ensure carbonation, and then you can lager for 8 weeks.

You really should not do any lagering in a bucket- it's got a wide headspace and you'd risk oxidizing the beer. Lagering in the bottle works. What I would do is bottle the beer after the diacetyl rest, and then allow the beer to carb up for a couple of weeks at room temperature. After the beer is carbed up, then the bottles can be stuck in cold storage for the lagering period. That will ensure carbonation, and then you can lager for 8 weeks.
Ok that makes sense to me. The only other thing I have is I am on my 4th day of the diacetyl rest and would not be able to bottle until friday night. Will the lengthened "rest" hurt me at all?

Excellent, thanks much for helping a beginner! I think I'll try an ale or something a little easier then a lager on my next one haha, Thanks again

Latest posts

Back