Tips for getting good head :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHB

Reaction score
So I have opened 2 bottles of my first ever brew (extract kit. Amber ale)..the first one a week in the bottles and yesterday was 2 weeks in bottles and I was disappointed with the head. The head was weird. It was frothy, if that makes an sense. The carbanation was fine, just the head was like i've never seen before. Any tips on getting better head in my future batches?

The head was weird. It was frothy, if that makes an sense. The carbanation was fine, just the head was like i've never seen before.

What was 'weird' about it? What did yo not like? Was this an extrack or AG brew? I find a little malted wheat or Carapils malt helps with head retention...

Extract. Hard to explain but like I said, it was very loose and frothy. Not the typical head I have ever seen on a beer before. There was no lack of head and the retention was decent, not great, but decent.

different beers produce different heads, some you'll see large bubbles, some you'll see so fine you thought it was beer topped with whipped cream, its all good.

Extract. Hard to explain but like I said, it was very loose and frothy. Not the typical head I have ever seen on a beer before. There was no lack of head and the retention was decent, not great, but decent.

That sounds ok to me :). Then again, IMO any head is good head ;)

Oh, dont get me wrong.. I enjoyed the head. It was just unlike any head I have seen.. was not worried about it just curious to know if there was tips for producing a better head/head retention/lacing.

'dirty' glass?

i find if the glass has oils or detergent residues, it creates what I think you're talking about. instead of a nice tight head full of little bubbles, it appears loose with larger bubbles.

also, how long did you chill the brew before drinking?

t_5671.jpg

'dirty' glass?

i find if the glass has oils or detergent residues, it creates what I think you're talking about. instead of a nice tight head full of little bubbles, it appears loose with larger bubbles.

also, how long did you chill the brew before drinking?

Oh, she was dirty-wait, you mean the glass? My bad... no the glass was not dirty, it was brand new so I just rinsed it out.

Your right on the money about how the head was.. really loose and large bubbles. I chilled it for 24 hours before opening it.

Back