Tips for cooking lobster tails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Brazilian Rock style. Never done them. Quick google seems like it can be widely varied. Wife has been in the hospital and I want to make her an awesome meal for when she gets out tomorrow. I'm thinking the steam approach but tips?

Agh! :eek:

I like steaming but timing is the trick. Don't put them in the steamer until right before you plan on eating. Get everything else ready, then get them steaming. Take them out a minute before they are completely cooked since they continue to cook inside for a couple minutes.

Split, smeared with butter, garlic, S&P and broiled with a bit of white wine is nice.

careful not to overcook!

Oh, and if you do broil them, release them from the shell before you cook them. It will make it easier when they are done.

Luck

I think I'm going the steamed approach. Leave the tails as is or split them 1st? I also read toss a bit of sea salt in the water which I was going to do. A bit of garlic in the steam water, melted butter or a bit in each?

Thanks! Oh and cooking time critical noted.

Season the water until it tastes good. You can put some herbs, S&P, Garlic, Bay leaf, celery, whatever you like.

You can split or not split, your call. For presentation, might be nicer to split half way through, before steaming. Heavy kitchen scissors work best. Next best is a steady hand and a heavy knife.

You can probably find a you tube, or google graphic, if you've never done it.

Hope your wife recovers quickly.

I usually just steam them in a bit of water. If you have had a couple of beers and nglect to time them you can tell when they are done by giving one of their antennas a jerk. If it pops out easily it is done.

+1 that is my favorite way to em. Especially if you sprinkle them with a bit of Old Bay right before you grill. mmmmm

Grilling is one of my favorites as well. Although no one here has mentioned the greatest way to cook anything...poach them in butter. Works better for just tails than a whole lobster, but you just heat enough butter to cover them to about 185*, pop them in, and let them sit until they are done. (depends on the size)

Back