Tips for a simple lager style ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerDaddy94

Reaction score
Hey I am very new to brewing and i just finsished my very first batch. Its an ipa which is ok but id really like to try to make a simple 1 gal batch of lager style ale. Any tips or suggestions or recipes?

Last edited:
Are you able to ferment around 50F and then lager below 40F?

No unfortunately i dont think i would have the ability to maintain the right temperature for an actual lager. But I was wondering if there was maybe an lager like ale that i could try to make. I guess I forgot to put that in the description haha

Hey I am very new to brewing and i just finsished my very first batch. Its an ipa which is ok but id really like to try to make a simple 1 gal batch of lager style ale. Any tips or suggestions or recipes?

No unfortunately i dont think i would have the ability to maintain the right temperature for an actual lager. But I was wondering if there was maybe an lager like ale that i could try to make. I guess I forgot to put that in the description haha
Some folks ferment 34/70 lager yeast at ale temps with great success. I've yet to try it, but theres a thread on the forums dedicated to it.
I can't brew legit lagers until winter, but when I get the pull to brew one, I use Wyeast 1007, or Nottingham dry yeast. I prefer the former over the latter, but they're both really clean, especially if kept on their lower end (58-62 for me). It'll never be a true lager, but it will sort of feel like you're getting there. White labs 029 is another option. Its technically a kolsch yeast, but ferments well in the mid 60s.
My hybrid lager brews tend to be pretty simple, straightforward recipes. About 85-90% pilsner, 10% Munich, and sometimes a dash (1%) of melanoidan malt. Oftentimes I only use a 60m hop addition with hallertau or tettanger at around 15ibu, but occasionally will toss a bit towards the end of the boil with Saaz, Calista, or Perle as well. If you're using extract, I would just use light dry extract, and maybe steep an ounce of caramunich.
Since you're brand new, I would suggest checking out the recipes on the forum here as well. @gunhaus listed some great ones for starters. There's also some good (and free) software out there for building recipes.

Without temp control you can try using Omega Lutra kveik yeast. There’s a thread about people using it to brew faux lagers with quite a bit of success. I have a pouch in my fridge now waiting for a brew day.

Keep your grain bill simple and give it a shot. For me, Saaz and Pilsner malt is all I need to be happy.

Without temp control you can try using Omega Lutra kveik yeast. There’s a thread about people using it to brew faux lagers with quite a bit of success. I have a pouch in my fridge now waiting for a brew day.

Keep your grain bill simple and give it a shot. For me, Saaz and Pilsner malt is all I need to be happy.
I would do the same thing.

Kölsch works great as a pseudo lager style - brewing another batch just now. Still likes to ferment cool, but anywhere from 58-65 has worked just fine for me. I have used Wyeast 2565 on every batch and love it. I brew extract/steep.

I suggest you read through this thread about warm fermenting lagers:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/
After having read through this thread, I have fermented numerous beers (Munich Dunkel, Pilsner, IPL) with much success. The Brulosophy guys have also stated how successful it can be, so check out their website and podcast for that. Give it a try, it's well worth it.

As others mentioned, Kolsch and German ales are both lager like.

WLP029 is the White Labs Kolsch yeast. It has a what is described by others as a "white grape" undertone. I have brewed with it and produced a beer exactly like many of the packaged craft brewed kolsch beers. Tasted exactly like Running Walker. Wyeast also makes a Kolsch yeast WY2565. I have not brewed with it, but my understanding is that it produces a Kolsch from the maltier side of the Kolsch spectrum.

Wyeast 1007 German Ale will produce a lager like ale and is a favorite of many homebrewers. Beware of the Krausen and use a blow-off. Seriously, do not underestimate this yeast, it will grow out of any vessel - this yeast produces one of the highest and snottiest krausens you will ever experience, but it produces great beer.

Another option is to make a California Common beer which is made with lager yeast that still produce clean beer at ale temperatures. Both WLP and Wyeast have the version of a California lager yeast. Anchor steam beer, which is one of my favorites, is a very simple recipe - 95% 2-row and 5% medium crystal and you are good to go. Hops are Northern brewer. I prefer the beer in a 32 IBU range which is at the lower end of the spectrum. In addition to the California Lager yeasts, Fermentis 34/70 dry yeast (WLP830, WY2124 liquid equivalent) has a huge temperature range and can make a great California common. One more option - the first all grain beer I ever made was a California common and at the time I had no temperature control except an air conditioned room that was kept at 68. Using Wyeast 1272 and wrapping the fermenter with a wet towel, it produced a beer just like Anchor steam.

Here's how I handled no lager temp control.
IMG_20201031_103537.jpg

Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast says it can be used at ale temps. Its supposed to be the Anchor “Steam Beer” yeast and Wyeast description says “it retains lager characteristics up to 65 degrees.”

I personally have only used this yeast once in my brewing career and not for a very long time. I was a total rookie back then and I don’t recall my results with it being great or anything. But that was ages ago and I didn’t know then what I know now. Just thought it might be worth a mention.

My most recent blonde ale is very good, especially after the keg has been cold in my kegerator for a couple weeks. I used pilsener malt as the base and added about 10% munich 10L malt. Hopped with Hallertauer Mittelfruher for bittering with Saaz for flavor and aroma. I used Wyeast 1968 on this one and I like it. Blonde ale does appear in Wyeast’s style list for this yeast. My Tilt says it fermented at 73 degrees. It’s really clean. If anything, I would increase both the light munich and the late Saaz additions on my next batch. I was going for a festbier type light golden psuedo lager.

You can get clean and crisp, but wont have the right character. Thats where it always falls short.

It comes down to the lagering of the beer. Even if you are dojng it with ale yeast, you need a psuedo lagering method as well.

Freezers are harder to come by of recent with the virus, but you can usually find something for around 200$. A temp controller for around 50$. Youll eventually make this investment, and can be used for ales too. Youll just be wasting money on ingredients , and more importantly loosing time.

It would be easier to use pale 2 row over pilsner malt
A yeast like nottingham, 1728, us-05
Carb on the higher side

You can get clean and crisp, but wont have the right character. Thats where it always falls short.

It comes down to the lagering of the beer. Even if you are dojng it with ale yeast, you need a psuedo lagering method as well.
Two weeks after bottling put in the fridge to bottle lager.

Back