Tips for a no stress double batch brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
I took advantage of the "extra hour" today and woke up early and brewed a double batch. The first kettle was fired up around 7:30am and I was done with clean up around 4:00pm. I do all grain 10 gallon batches.

Here's some tips:

1) Set up your entire brewery the night before. This includes kettles, burners, propane tanks, pumps, hoses, brewing salts, refractometer, mash paddle, chiller, fermenters, airlocks, cleaner, sanitizer, etc. Take it all out the night before. I even fill my hot liquor tank and crush my grains the night before so I can wake up in the AM and immediately fire up the first kettle.

2) The night before have your recipe and brew sheet together and write everything down. This includes the malt bill, hop regime, estimated starting & pre boil gravities, mash temp, strike temp, any water adjustments, etc.

Being organized and having everything laid out in front of me helps me focus on the task at hand without having to worry about finding equipment, running calculations, etc.

For brewing itself there are multiple things that can be done at the same time. Personally I batch sparge. So when the last of the sparge water gets into the mash tun for the first batch I immediately add new water to to the HLT to use as the strike water for the second batch. I do the boil for the first batch while I'm doing the mash for the second batch....etc...

I hope this helps and if anyone else has other tips feel free to pass them along!

:mug:

-Mike

I took advantage of the "extra hour" today and woke up early and brewed a double batch. The first kettle was fired up around 7:30am and I was done with clean up around 4:00pm. I do all grain 10 gallon batches.

Here's some tips:

1) Set up your entire brewery the night before. This includes kettles, burners, propane tanks, pumps, hoses, brewing salts, refractometer, mash paddle, chiller, fermenters, airlocks, cleaner, sanitizer, etc. Take it all out the night before. I even fill my hot liquor tank and crush my grains the night before so I can wake up in the AM and immediately fire up the first kettle.

2) The night before have your recipe and brew sheet together and write everything down. This includes the malt bill, hop regime, estimated starting & pre boil gravities, mash temp, strike temp, any water adjustments, etc.

Being organized and having everything laid out in front of me helps me focus on the task at hand without having to worry about finding equipment, running calculations, etc.

For brewing itself there are multiple things that can be done at the same time. Personally I batch sparge. So when the last of the sparge water gets into the mash tun for the first batch I immediately add new water to to the HLT to use as the strike water for the second batch. I do the boil for the first batch while I'm doing the mash for the second batch....etc...

I hope this helps and if anyone else has other tips feel free to pass them along!

:mug:

-Mike

Really? **** this is great stuff right here. Thanks for the organizational tips etc...

Back