Tippy dump system vs traditional horizontal brew rig w 2 pumps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a system. I am currently looking at 2 options, one is a More Beer tippy dump system with all the bells and whistles, the other is a more standard horizontal 3 kettle system. The TD has a 10 gal capacity with a counter flow chiller and the other is 25 gals with a plate chiller. It is unlikely I will ever brew 25 gals, but the bigger pots could be helpful. Feedback would be appreciated, I am making the decision sometime this week/weekend. Thanks,

I'd definitely steer towards a system that can do 10 gallon batches, tippy dump or not.
I can't see any homebrewer doing 25 gallon batches for long. By the time the last keg was tapped it'd likely be months old.
Plus big kettles = big heat loss. Those kettles are still radiating energy when brewing at less than half their capacity...

Cheers!

Figure out how much it will cost to run a 240 gfci circuit to your brewing location as well as plumb in a huge slop sink. Then use the rest of the budget for whatever system you can afford. If you never considered electric yet, now is the time. I personally recommend a eBIAB rig.

I'm looking to purchase a system. I am currently looking at 2 options, one is a More Beer tippy dump system with all the bells and whistles, the other is a more standard horizontal 3 kettle system. The TD has a 10 gal capacity with a counter flow chiller and the other is 25 gals with a plate chiller. It is unlikely I will ever brew 25 gals, but the bigger pots could be helpful. Feedback would be appreciated, I am making the decision sometime this week/weekend. Thanks,
I think the MB tippy dump systems are either natural gas or LP powered. Are you looking at a used or new one and if used, is it NG or LP? What about the 25 gallon system--how is it powered? Are the costs of the two systems you are considering equivalent? Lots of things to consider imo.

Back