tipping bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
does tipping bottles on side while storing do anything? What about tipping to move yeast and sediment back into the beer while it is sitting and then replacing? Would this produce more flavoring?

They'll foam like heck if you don't return them to an upright position prior to opening. I would store them standing up at least 8 hours prior to consumption.

Lou said:
sure, it would add the flavor of yeast. in most styles, this is not desirable.

Every drop you drink has yeast suspended in it. I've thrown back more than a few homebrews by now, and I've had a hard time differentiating a yeasty one from one where I tried to seperate the yeast. Clarity is the only main difference. Clarity, and not as much gas the next day.

Instead of giving the bottle $1 or $2 after serving me my beer, I usually just tell it it's a wonderful bottle, and don't quit it's day job.

Also, I've noticed that if I secondary all of my brews, I really don't get that much yeast in the glass and I pour it all in anyways. My step-dad commented "how do you get your beers so clear?" I told him about using a secondary and he was amazed I'd have that much patience.

turfguy1969 said:
does tipping bottles on side while storing do anything? What about tipping to move yeast and sediment back into the beer while it is sitting and then replacing? Would this produce more flavoring?

I'm assuming (here we go!) that you're my age (1969) and should know a thing or two by now. I'm not sure what you're REALLY trying to get at in your question, but store them "right side up" and pour as you normally would should suffice here.....carry on!

:mug:

The question is more scientific I think. Would the yeast and sediment in my bottle cover a larger surface area on a side of a bottle than on the bottom only? "tipping" in this case refers to moving the fluid and yeast around inside the conditioning bottle. Large oak barrels which are seasoning are turned in the liquor production market, why not beer? wouldn't a shift in position from the bottom sediment allow a continuation of "creation" of flavor and content?

Ok, I'll bite.

In most cases an over abundance of yeast taste(or yeast bite) is undesirable in beer and most(?) brewers take measures, some more than others, to reduce the yeast sediment in the final product. I personally use both primary and secondary fermentation vessels to accomplish this and then keg condition for another period of time. I'm even considering filtering to remove the final traces of yeast in all but a couple styles (yes I love Hefe's too!)

As far as the container adding any characteristics to the beer all I can say is, glass is not wood and beer is not wine.

If you let the beer sit long enough, of course, none of this matters. Tipping or not tipping, it all settles and mellows in time. I think you'd just be encouraging your beer to have to sit longer the more you agitate them. The only reason I can think of to do this would be to encourage carbonation in higher gravity beers, but even then I'm not sure it's necessary.

I hope you have some actual "real world" fun and brew up a batch, then you can let us know how you like your 'yeast character' beer.

Back