Tip: getting air bubbles out of racking tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoc

Reaction score
This may be old knowledge to the more experienced on the list, but I found it to be helpful tip!

I recently got a new 1/2 inch auto-siphon, and noticed a lot of air bubbles in the tubing when I was transferring my beer. It was driving me nuts because it looked like it was probably very effectively oxygenating my beer. After some searching, I found an easy solution:

After you start your siphon, just pinch the top of the tube (just below where it attaches to the racking cane) about half way for a few seconds. The restriction in flow will carry all the bubbles out of the tube and when you let go you will have just liquid.

Also, make sure you get the right size tubing if you get the 1/2 inch siphon. It uses an odd size that I couldn't find locally. I put a small hose clamp on (not too tight!) and that solved the air leak.

If you are having that issue and it is being cleared up that way, then the ID of your hose is too big. Trouble is the next smallest diameter can be a pain to get on and off the tube without breaking the cane at the bend (I know, I've done that)

A better solution which will prevent bubbles from the start is to get one of these plastic clamps, and just clamp it on with your hose.

imgscale.aspx

But honestly you don't really need to stress about it that much.

It takes a lot of splashing and other things to do any damage to our beer, someone on basic brewing years ago, (Palmer, or Chris Colby of BYO) said that in order to truly provide enough O2 to oxydize our beers it would take pumping and entire one of our red oxygen bottle/airstones into our beer AFTER fermentation is complete.

Most of the splashing intentional or accidental that we do in the course of our brewing will not harm it...Including pumping with your auto siphon, or getting a few bubbles in it.

It happens to the best of us.

So despite getting bubbles in your Autosiphon, I wouldn't worry.

I know I've done it on numerous occasions...in fact if you look at this thread, especially my initial post in it, I mention that I've done it, to no detrimental effect...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And beside Oxygenation damage isn't immediate anyway, most of us would have our beer drunk long before it would happen.

But those clips are cheap, I got a tone from my lhbs.

:mug:

I am getting air bubbles on my auto siphon as well. Not worried, but wondering if there is a solution. The bubbles are comming from the "plunger" part, the seal inside the thube. The air is getting sucked past the seal and into the beer stream. I get about 1 big bubble every 10 seconds. The siphon works great, so no issues there, and the amount of air is not a huge deal, just wondering if there are possible fixes.

Well, just to provide another POV...I've only tried two clamps on my auto-siphon and the one like Revvy posted leaked air. And that IS the clamp that was 'recommended' by the HBS. However, this was at least partly due to having the wrong sized tubing (although I did perform the first use of the auto-siphon with NO clamp and was able to prevent air). I just use the regular SS clamp.

Sort of :off: but I've read a number of "the auto-siphon was my source of infection" posts and I wonder why that is? Design issue or pilot error...or perhaps the ole misdiagnosis.;)

lurker18: I've not had large 'burps' when I use it. You do push the inner tube all the way back down to the bottom when finished pumping right?

Sort of :off: but I've read a number of "the auto-siphon was my source of infection" posts and I wonder why that is? Design issue or pilot error...or perhaps the ole misdiagnosis.;)

Well I'm pretty sure my infection did come from my autosphon...When I brokek the tube near the bend I just heated the hose in boiling water, and wedged the hose on, and never removed it, I just cleaned and sanitized as best I could. BUT all it takes is a timy microparticle of biomatter, like a small bit of wort or hop that get's wedged at the break to infect the wort. (It says on starsan bottles that you must thoroughly clean before sanitiszing.)

I also never disassembled the piston between uses...

You absolutely should remove the hose, and remove the piston from the outer tube to clean everything completely.

My auto-siphon collects air and bubbles right at the top of the cane part of the pump. I also get a little air space in the top of my spigot, I think it's a result of using the dip tube I created. I used to worry about it, but just the other day I had the same thought that Revvy brings up, "I'm probably going to drink all this beer long before this minor oxidation ever becomes an issue." However, I might have to pick up a few of those clips.

Revvy, how do you remove the piston? My autosiphon seems to be all glued together, I've tried pulling on it but don't want to break it...I must be missing something.

Revvy, how do you remove the piston? My autosiphon seems to be all glued together, I've tried pulling on it but don't want to break it...I must be missing something.

I would have to see a pic of yours.....What I call the piston, is the center bent tube that you hook the hose to.

You should be able to pull that out of the larger tube.

Well I'm pretty sure my infection did come from my autosphon...When I brokek the tube near the bend I just heated the hose in boiling water, and wedged the hose on, and never removed it, I just cleaned and sanitized as best I could. BUT all it takes is a timy microparticle of biomatter, like a small bit of wort or hop that get's wedged at the break to infect the wort. (It says on starsan bottles that you must thoroughly clean before sanitiszing.)

I also never disassembled the piston between uses...

You absolutely should remove the hose, and remove the piston from the outer tube to clean everything completely.
Good to know. Mine is only a couple months old but I've never disassembled it. I do give it a full PBW soak, then thorough rinse, then Starsan both before and after I use it...everytime. Then I hang it up so anything left can drip out. And when I 'soak' it I also pump it pretty vigorously using both short and full strokes. Leaving myself open to all sorts of jokes with that last one:cross:.

Good to know. Mine is only a couple months old but I've never disassembled it. I do give it a full PBW soak, then thorough rinse, then Starsan both before and after I use it...everytime. Then I hang it up so anything left can drip out. And when I 'soak' it I also pump it pretty vigorously using both short and full strokes. Leaving myself open to all sorts of jokes with that last one:cross:.

I'll leave off the jokes. :D

But that's EXACTLY what I was doing with my busted auto siphon, except replace pbw with oxyclean....and it worked fine for several months....I figured the oxy and santization would be enough.

but you always are just one batch away from your first infection....

When I pulled the hose off, there was a broken piece of plastic wedged in there and what looked like a fleck of hop or mold or something organic....

So know I'm a proponent of disassembly.

Latest posts

Back