Tim's Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WL004
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~32
Color
52 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Condition
Tasting Notes
I am tasting after only a week in the bottle, it is roasty and awesome. In 2 weeks I
4 lbs Light DME
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Medium Crystal(Simpsons)
1/2 lb Black Malt
2 oz. Kent Goldings(pellets)5.3 AA at 60 min.
1 White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast
1 Tsp Irish Moss

Steep grains at 155* for 30 minutes. After steep add water to as much as you can safely boil on your setup(for me it was 4 gallons). Boil for 60 minutes, add all hops at the begining of the boil. Ferment at as low a temp. as you can. 65* is good. Wait 3 weeks after bottling and enjoy. If you can't wait 3 weeks it still tastes great after a week, At least for me:).

I've never done a partial mash. Do these grains need to be crushed before steeping?

Hey bottweiser. This recipe is an extract not a partial mash:). By definition a partial mash is really a small all-grain bath augmented by the addition of extract to achieve the desired original gravity. Steeping grains, to answer your question need to be crushed. It is like a big batch of tea. Steeping of grains is different in that no starches need to be converted so there is no base malt used. As far as my recipe is concerned I am pleased in your interest. I would suggest tuning the roasted malt back a quarter pound. I like it as is and really mellowed out after a few months. More than half had been consumed after only a month:tank:. It was to me an amped up Guiness as find Guiness a little bland. I hope all this helps as I am still new to brewing(only a year in). I have yet to move up from extract but I will in the future.

Yeah I'm definately going to try it out. I will cut back the black patent, and I'm thinking about adding coffee.

I'm brewing this one on Sunday. I had a few substitutions while at the LHBS and I'm wondering if there will be detrimental ramifications.
Instead of 4 pounds DME, I got 5 pounds LME. The LHBS said this was the correct conversion. Were they correct? And then for the half pound black malt, I got black patent. Is this what the recipe was calling for? And then, instead of pellet hops I bought whole leaf. Just because I've never used whole leaf before. :) And then... I'm kidding. That's all.
The one thing that concerns me the most is the amount of LME. I hope its correct because I'd hate to have to drive back over to the LHBS. Is it some unwritten rule that they have to be a minimum 30 minutes away?

Sujeto, I am pleased you found an interest in my recipe. You will have a slightly different beer than the one I made based on your available ingredients. Not to worry it will still be good. Using liquid extract shouldn't make too much a difference. The calculation you were given is correct. Black malt is Black patent malt so you are fine there. Now with the hops depending on your Alpha acids you may have a slightly more bitter or less bitter beer. Pellet hops have more bittering potential usually than whole hops. What is the AA of you hops? I dont think you beer will be much different than what I made. So rest easy, no need to drive back to your LHBS.

Hope I answered your questions, have fun brewing.

Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. The AA of the whole leaf hops are 5.0 which was the same as the pellet variety. Maybe I'll brew this up with pellet hops some time and do a taste test and see if there's a difference. Its good to know the DME to LME conversion was correct. Its kind of hit of miss at my LHBS when it comes to advice. They're stuck on racking to a secondary after about 9 days of fermentation for all beer styles.
Needless to say, I'm on my way over to the LHBS for a second fermenter for the stout since the hefe I have going wasn't ready to be bottled yesterday. Great reason to convince SWMBO I need another fermenter since I'm brewing the stout for her!
There is seriously a fine line between a hobby and an addiction!

Hey Sujeto. With your hops you will have lower IBU's than what I had. I Can't see it as a bad thing however. It will still be within style guidelines if that concerns you at all. Good luck with your stout and there is certainly no need for a secondary. It's a stout, who cares if it's hazy. LOL.

Well, I brewed this one up today. Gettin' better at my process. Only took me 4 hours from start to finish. And learned a few things along the way. I don't think I'll use whole hops again. To much material to deal with post boil.
My gravity came in at 1.046. So not too far off from yours. Well this will get 2, possibly 3 weeks in the primary before bottling. Then another 3 weeks. :(

100th post:ban:. Hey Sujeto I wonder if you could humor me and try a bottle a week after bottling. It might be a little flat but it'll give you an idea of how the flavours kinda just smooth out. At least it did with mine, but hey it's you beer do as you will. Just keep us posted how you like it.:mug:.

Also glad to hear you are getting better with your process. I wish I could brew more.

So I bottled this one up today after 2 weeks in the primary. My FG came in at 1.016 and an OG of 1.046. I had a steady fermenting temp of 70 degrees. I wonder what happened. It tastes pretty good now but 3.96 ABV? Any thoughts, ideas?

Back