Timing with Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
I have a copper coil immersion chiller. I know I'm supposed to put it in the brewpot 10 minutes before the end of the boil to sterilize the chiller.

When I do put it in, it kills the boil. Do I stop timing until the wort comes back to a boil, then continue the countdown? (I am doing stovetop brewing, so it takes a few minutes for the boil to come back, might be as much as 5 minutes.)

If I do stop the clock until my wort comes back to a boil, what about my hops?
  • For 10-minute hops, I assume I should put them in after the boil restarts (and the clock resumes at 10 minutes).
  • Do I make any adjustment for 20-minute hops, or just not worry about the extra minutes for it to return to a boil?
  • I assume no changes are needed for bittering (e.g., 60 minute) hops.

The water should still be hot enough to kill bacteria, and you don't need the boil for the hops because you don't want bitterness from 10 min. additions. I would keep the timer running, but crank up the heat.

You could preheat the chiller by running hot water through it first.

I put my immersion chiller in the last 15min of the boil. I don't usually worry about the loss of boil since the wort is still hot. You will still get a small amount of bitterness from your 10min hop addition but it will be further reduced by the drop in wort temperature. Since your main purpose of using a 10min. hop addition is to get hop flavor the loss in utilization should not be worrysome. I agree with Jdslep... keep the timer running and crank up the heat.

I had the same concern when I started using my immersion chiller. My solution was to rest it over my pot @ about 20 minutes remaining, then when I put it in at 10-15 min remaining it is preheated and has very little effect on my boil.

I had the same concern when I started using my immersion chiller. My solution was to rest it over my pot @ about 20 minutes remaining, then when I put it in at 10-15 min remaining it is preheated and has very little effect on my boil.

Good call, I'll start doing this as well! My only thing is...why didn't I think of that? Too many homebrews apparently :mug:

I use StarSan as well. I keep it in a 5 gallon bucket and just drop it in 10 minutes before the end of the boil. I did put it into the boil the first time I used it but when I saw how clean it came out (oxidation removed) it bothered me that I had no idea what that might have left behind in the pot. Obviously it isn't detrimental as most people use the boil to sanitize the coil but I switched to using StarSan anyway.

This is a stovetop brew, so cranking up the heat is not an option. I run full out or, at best, a half notch down from full on the burner control.

I like the idea of not stopping the clock waiting for the wort to come to a boil again.

I also like the idea of just spraying the chiller and not putting it in for the last 10-15 minutes. This way, the cold (room temperature) copper is helping (slightly) to cool the wort when I want it cooled.

Thanks, all.

Back