Timing for pitching yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Scenario: You began brew day and wort is in the BK. You realize you don’t have the yeast you wanted, but you have starters in the fridge. You decide to dump the wort in the fermenter, which has cooled to around 150 degrees after whirlpool, with said fermenter sitting in your fermentation chamber set to desired fermentation temperature where you will pitch your yeast when it is ready. Is this going to be ok? Should I be concerned? Do I dump my wort and start over? I’m just not sure if wort sitting without yeast being pitched when pitch temperatures are targeted is a good or bad thing?

I’m just not sure if wort sitting without yeast being pitched when pitch temperatures are targeted is a good or bad thing?

It's not going to hurt the wort too much, the real danger is the risk of infection. It's hugely vulnerable at the moment. It's a certainty that it will pick up bugs from the environment (unless you're working in a clean room) - the longer you leave it, the more open you leave it, and the warmer you leave it, the more risk of an infection growing to the point where it has a material effect on the beer. A good amount of hops in the wort will at least discourage most bacteria.

So really you want to start fermentation ASAP (good aeration of starter and of the wort will help cell multiplication) - in the meantime it wants to be ideally covered and as cold as you can get it.

Back