Timer or no Timer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your thoughts on including a timer in a control Panel

• Yes, I would need/want a timer on my control panel.

• No, I don't need/want a timer on my control panel.

• Would be nice but not neccessary.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I put two timers on mine, one for the HLT and one for the MT since the HLT takes longer to heat up. I wish I would have used digital timers but this is all I could find at the time at a decent price.

Timers are great time savers because the brewery is ready to go before you even get out of bed.

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

I use a small digital timer which I can take with me to another part of the house so I can know when to come back, having it in the panel as well would be nice.

After I posted I started thinking. What kind of timer are you talking about? One that automatically starts heating the water for you or one to time brewing sequences (hop adds..ect)?

Brewing sequences - Mash time, boil time, etc.

I do like the idea of a timer to start heating strike water. That could be added though at any time, presumably.

Cheers,
Jeff

The ASL-51 is only $33.50. Since I was buying the PIDs from Auber anyway, the shipping for the timer was negligible. I find a panel-mounted timer to be extremely helpful (almost necessary once you're used to using it) to the brewing process.

Thumbs up from me for using a timer. I like one that doesn't forget where it's at if power's lost.

A $10 kitchen timer works too of course. No right or answer as to what to use.

Kal

i actually using a plc with a couple of internal timers and 1 digtal timer hooked up to 3 pid temp controllers for automation of a HERMS... i need to figure out how to do the hopping though...

all the timers need some type of input to start and an alarm signal is sent to the plc for each timer to signal end of stage

The ASL-51 is only $33.50. Since I was buying the PIDs from Auber anyway, the shipping for the timer was negligible. I find a panel-mounted timer to be extremely helpful (almost necessary once you're used to using it) to the brewing process.

x2
I plan on using the ASL-51 in my build. Prob not 'necessary', I have used an app on my cell phone in the past or an oven timer. A good kitchen timer will cost about the same and why not just have it incorporated with your panel for ease of use/ bling factor.

I use a 4 way timer that I can take with me. I think the only benefit of a panel mount timer would be to start heating the strike water while I'm sleeping. I'm always don't for gadgetry though so I'm open to any other ideas.

i actually using a plc with a couple of internal timers and 1 digtal timer hooked up to 3 pid temp controllers for automation of a HERMS... i need to figure out how to do the hopping though...
If you want your PLC to automatically dispense the hops or just remind you to add the hops an input from the brew kettle is required.
A soon the brew kettle is at boiling temp your hop addition routine should start and do all the timing based on your hop schedule.
For every required addition turn on a buzzer, display a message or automatically dispense the hops.
My set-up is capable of all three.
I also have a external timer in case the system is down.

Add-Hops_30min.jpg

Add-Hops-75min.jpg

Automatic dispensing

cd3cf71e.jpg

Display with warning lamps and buzzer

100_5623.jpg

External back-up timer with stack lights and buzzer
CIP_Tank_2008.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I always enjoy looking at your pics ClaudiusB! Thanks for sharing!

... and to think that some people think I'm crazy for spending $160 on a timer. ;)

Kal

i also use the ASL-51 mounted in my panel. Only thing it controls is a flashing light and buzzer to let me know the time is up.

no automated control...but very handy

One of the things I do to keep the wife happy is to show her all the systems out there that are way over the top than mine. Makes me seem a bit more tame in comparison. Kal's set up is the one I most often use for this and I had thought Kal's was the be all end all. I always wondered if he ever did the same thing, how he dealt with that and what system he would show her.

Now I know! Claudio that is one fantastic set up.

And thanks all for the comments on the timers. Based on the results of the poll it looks pretty darn even. I think at this point I am leaving the timer out of my panel and will be using a simple kitchen timer.

Cheers,
Jeff

Back