Time wasted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookmic5

Reaction score
I'm making a big beer, so I started the process of a three step up yeast started. First step went great. But I was in a rush when I decanted and added the wort for the second step. I ended up with too much liquid in my 2 liter flask and (no surprise) the krausen over flowed into and a bit out of the airlock.

So here's my question: is it likely that I lost all or most of the yeast that I built up in the first step to the krausen over flow in the second step?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't know, I doubt 'most' - let it die down and you'll see the yeast that settles out. You could chill it, decant it, then repitch it into a fresh starter.

You lost some yeast, but the krausen doesn't contain that much yeast. Continue on. You will be okay.
Your starter will progress faster if you remove the air lock. The yeast need oxygen for building new cells. Cover your flask with a sanitized aluminum foil cap.

You lost some yeast, but the krausen doesn't contain that much yeast. Continue on. You will be okay.

Your starter will progress faster if you remove the air lock. The yeast need oxygen for building new cells. Cover your flask with a sanitized aluminum foil cap.

Will do. And thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back