Time to take Hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBetz

Reaction score
I posted earlier about some temp issues during primary fermentation. Too cold at first then warmed it up. Had great fermentation and saw lots of bublbles but then warmed it up perhaps a bit much. Probably closer to 80.

Thought I had maybe killed the yeast but most of the fine folks here doubted that. However, now I see no air bubbles comming through the lock.

I've heard that airlock bubbles do not corrolate to fermentation but the lack of ANY gas is making me wonder. Should I risk taking a hydrometer reading?

How long has it been fermenting?

You can always take a reading but if it's been under a week, it's not really worth it.

Please don't try to bottle your beer if it's only been going a few days even if the instructions say you can. Give your yeast time to clean up their waste and let your beer clear. If it's been in primary 2 or 3 weeks, disregard the above. :)

Should I risk taking a hydrometer reading?

As long as you sanitize the hydrometer and wine thief (or whatever you use to grab the sample) and don't stir or shake up the fermenter while it is uncovered, there is very little risk (other than taking a wrong reading or not correcting it for temperature). Beer isn't immune from contamination, but once there is a fair amount of alcohol in it, it usually takes a pretty serious screw-up to mess up the final product.

question:

I have no idea how to read a hydrometer. But I brewed a batch last night and on the specific gravity part of the gauge it read 60. I dont know what that means. anyone?

Back