Time to jump in here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychlopath

Reaction score
...and vent some excitement.

I'd mentioned to my significant other that I would like to try this home brew thing. It really was just in passing and several months ago at that.

Well, a few months later, she sent me some mail with a little Amazon flyer showing that she'd bought me the ubiquitous Mr. Beer. I was pretty excited. So I started trolling sites like this one in my spare time to learn what I could.

Well, disappointment hit when she said that it'd arrived but looked like someone tried to nail a 40yd field goal with the box and she'd sent it back.

The disappointment gave way to excitement when I'd realized that, after reading here, I'd planned to replace it anyhow.

I'd purchased a FEW things that I knew would be needed; but then...Oh, then I found the "starter kits," and really started to foam at the mouth as I was shopping around.

So, I'm pulling the trigger, so to speak, and just ordered one of these:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/everything-a-carboy-complete-brewing-package-equipment-kit-2.html

with the Better Bottle and some Irish Red.

I'll be home mid-April and figure I can cook up the first batch near the end of the same month.

It should be waiting for me to sift through.

Should get some interesting looks from my roommate after cooking massive amounts of ugly gunk up in a pot. Oh, if only he weren’t a tea totaller.

Your life and your checking account will never be the same :rockin: Welcome!

And when she bugs you about it from here on out you can remind her that she was the one that made the first move in terms of actually getting you started....

Good luck, and welcome!

Oh, your first brew is always the best...probably not the beer but you are gonna laugh your @ss off at yourself when you look back. You are going to check on fermentation 6 times/day and when you bottle you are going to keep opening one/day "just to check on conditioning". After a while, you just stick them in the closet and forget about them until its time.

But to be honest, I do try some of my green brews every once in a while. Just checkin on conditioning. ;)

Oh, your first brew is always the best...probably not the beer but you are gonna laugh your @ss off at yourself when you look back. You are going to check on fermentation 6 times/day and when you bottle you are going to keep opening one/day "just to check on conditioning". After a while, you just stick them in the closet and forget about them until its time.

That reminds me, I still have 7 grolsch bottles and 2 750ml Champagne bottles of my first brew sitting in the basement (the Number 8, NB's Rochefort 8 clone). Just about time to crack one open and see how it's changed with 15 months of solitude!

EDIT:
I intentionally brewed a BDSA first, a standard ale second, and a weizen third (consecutive weeks) so that I'd have 3 batches come at least to some semblance of drinkability around the same time. Without that strategy, there's no way I'd still have any of the first batch left, and aging definitely helped it--the weizen, on the other hand, was absolutely delicious young!

Skip the starter kit, buy a BrewMagic and tell the ole lady to shut up and go make you a chicken pot pie.

In the long run it would be cheaper :D

But welcome all the same!

Back