Time to Get Canning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
For those of you who can your homebrew, I know finding cans has been a challenge this last year. Well, good news! We've got tons! If you're using the Oktober Can Seamer, which is what we use, then we have you set up for 16 oz cans. If you have a cannular, they can work with a 16 oz (473 mL) table spacer, but they won't work without it.
We offer them as Singles, in cases of 20 and cases of 192. All are standard 202 ends with B64 lids.

Can on, Friends! :mug:

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Cannular Pro doesn't need no stinkin spacer. ;)

As long as they are standard 202 lid sized (with base size to match), that's really all that matters. I'll keep you guys bookmarked for when I need more cans. I'm probably going to need 16oz first, since I bought 200 12oz cans the other weekend. I need to go through the 11.1oz cans I got when I ordered the Cannular machine. I want to switch to the 12oz since that will allow me to use rolls of labels (applying with a machine) to make that part of the process easier/faster.

OP
BrewChatter
Reaction score
Awesome! We've got plenty in stock for when you're ready. Having a label machine is killer! It will definitely make things faster and easier. Cheers!

Reaction score
Cannular Pro doesn't need no stinkin spacer. ;)

As long as they are standard 202 lid sized (with base size to match), that's really all that matters. I'll keep you guys bookmarked for when I need more cans. I'm probably going to need 16oz first, since I bought 200 12oz cans the other weekend. I need to go through the 11.1oz cans I got when I ordered the Cannular machine. I want to switch to the 12oz since that will allow me to use rolls of labels (applying with a machine) to make that part of the process easier/faster.
What machine are you using to apply labels?

Golddiggie

Reaction score
What machine are you using to apply labels?

My English IPA label has an image that was created just for it by an artist my nephew knows. Got full rights to the art she created. :D Some people looked at me funny when I was describing what I wanted. Then they see it and it 'clicks'.

Reaction score
We are in the same boat ! I am looking for artist to go up my labels, but as you are aware, you tell 'em what ya imagine and ya get nuthin but funny looks. Hard to find good help these days, damn kids have no imagination.

Reaction score
As I am new again (10 years out of it nearly) all these new machines and cool shite, I gotta ask, where you getting your labels printed that work with your labeler? I have the cannular and now the label machine in my more beer cart. I am also looking for 12 oz skinny cans for hard seltzer.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I haven't gotten labels made up yet. I'm waiting until I decide on a couple more things (third conical, bigger glycol chiller, etc.). Plus I want to use up the 11.1oz cans. I google searched for the labels to see what my options were. I'll probably end up using Stomp Stickers for mine. Good customer service/support for someone just asking questions with no set time line for a purchase. I will be looking to get labels for both the 16oz and 12oz cans. I like to put the heavier beers (stouts and such) in the 12oz cans. Lighter beers and ciders go into the 16oz cans. At least presently.

Don't forget the power supply and splash shield for the Cannular model you're getting. As I mentioned, the Pro version is well worth the cost delta. Since I'm doing everything by myself (my nephew is away for ~18 months since his fiance is going to grad school in Chitcago) having the machine do the important bits automagically really helps.

The image she created took only a couple of revisions to get what I wanted. Basically, got the first version, sent back reference material and got the final the next time.

Reaction score
Yeppers the pup is the one I want, but more beers website is crap when it comes to what is she or is not include, the website says pro power supply is include but the dude on the phone says it's not. Either way, I am getting the pro. I am unsure if it will do the skinny cans tho.

The October says it will do skinny cans and the even offer pre-graphic'd cans, but the price point is 3+ times that of the cannular. So unless I totally go stupid, I am sticking with cannular.

Maybe your graphic artist wants to take on some side work?

Golddiggie

Reaction score
The pro will do the skinny 12oz cans provided they use the 202 size lids. If not, then check with the manufacturer before you get the cans.

Since I got both the Cannulars I have (and had) I can tell you they don't ship with either the power supply OR shield. Get both. Also get some more clear plexiglass to make an extension on the shield if you're doing taller cans. Since the shield doesn't cover the 16oz cans (or 500ML from MoreBeer) enough.

I made this "shield" to cover the sides (past the clear shield you can buy) for the pro model. That was after using the other one and knowing it flings the foam (or what gets pushed out) beyond the clear shield.
PXL_20210515_123655256.jpg

PXL_20210515_123703607.jpg

Something else you'll want to do. Make up some 'reference' cans. Basically fill them with soda water/seltzer and seal them up. That way you can easily set the height of the pedestal when you're going to be filling them. Also, when you tighten up the locking ring (at the bottom of the acme screw for the pedestal, also tighten the handle. That helps lock in the height.
The pedestal is in position for 12oz cans in those pictures.

garagejob

Reaction score
That is really good info. I will certainly keep it all in mind when I get the cannular and start using it.

I just got an email from Darin at KegLand and he said the cannular cannot do skinny cans because they don't have a Chuck for them. Wonder what it would take to make said Chuck ?

Reaction score
I looked into stomp stickers, they have some pretty cool gear and sticker prices. I see you are using that corrugated cardboard for your splash shield, is that sufficient enough to keep the mess down?

That's crap about the skinny cans not working, I think someone needs to make a chuck. I ordered my canular tonight, when I get home nest week I will start playing with it to get the hang of it.

Oh! And the canular pro does come with the power supply $760! But oh well.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
When I ordered my Cannular Pro earlier this year it didn't come with the power supply needed (it needs more power than the standard version due to more electronics). Splash guard also didn't swap between them.

Are they talking about the lower or upper item in the machine for the skinny cans? How important is it to you to use those? If they're talking about the part that mounts in the upper part of the machine, then that's more involved than the pedestal. You'd need to get someone with machines (lathe and probably mill) to make one. Probably cost more than it's worth. IMO, I'd just get cans that use the standard 202 size lids and not worry.

There's a HBS inside the PRM (what we call MA) that has the 12oz and 16oz cans. I went down there a couple of weekends ago when it was "no sales tax weekend". Which means it was the same as every day here in NH. ;) The guy there tried to tell me that the cans they sell wouldn't work with the Cannular... I asked if the ones he sells use the 202 size lids. Yup. Well, then they'll work since the Cannular (standard and pro) work 100% with that size lids.

I'm glad I now have a source for cans that has reasonable shipping. Since that place wanted more to ship, which is why I drove almost an hour each way to get the case of cans. I don't think I'll ever go back to that store. Or order from their web site.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I looked into stomp stickers, they have some pretty cool gear and sticker prices. I see you are using that corrugated cardboard for your splash shield, is that sufficient enough to keep the mess down?

That's crap about the skinny cans not working, I think someone needs to make a chuck. I ordered my canular tonight, when I get home nest week I will start playing with it to get the hang of it.

Oh! And the canular pro does come with the power supply $760! But oh well.
The corrugated plastic boards are strong enough to handle splashes and such. I used some 3M VHB tape to put them together. I also used hot glue to seal the ends since they rest inside a sheet pan. I'm using the sheet pan to catch the liquid to make cleanup easier.

I got some samples from Stomp Stickers to test out. I wanted to see how easy they were to write on with an ultra fine Sharpie marker. Since I plan to have areas that I fill in per batch. That way I can have a sticker for each recipe and add data per batch.

I need to decide about getting conical #3 (and a different glycol chiller so that I can use one for all three fermenters) before I go ahead with the label applying machine and rolls of labels. Hopefully, I'll have all of that within the next couple of months.