Time to format!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Well, after a few home-brews, i have decided to format my pc tonight to clean it up and upgrade from xp to xp pro. Hopefully all goes well. I have backed up my beersmith files on at least 4 different sources, so if i loose my recipes, it will be a' ****ing 'mazing. 2- 500mb HD's may take a while, but as long as I got my beer handy all will be well. I my not format my slave tonight as I can do it any night as it is mostly full of ripped DVD's and misc crap i won't miss anyway!! :mug:

well, i am back with Xp pro and all. i have to install a few drives for my MOBO, but all is well. I forgot Xp takes like half the time to format and reinstall than w2k does.

Yahtzee!!! :ban::ban:

takes even less if you get a drive imaging program :D. I used ghost for a while until it got too expensive...but there are a few others out there that make "refreshing" your system such a pleasure. With ghost, I'd have my OS, drivers, and essential applications restored in under 45 minutes. If you keep your OS on one drive and your personal files on another, even better. Cheers to you, and your fresh install! :mug:

That reminds me. I need to defraggle this laptop. I hate those little bastards, always singing and dancing and telling jokes in there.

well,

all MOBO drivers installed along with FireFox (i protest microsoft as much as as i pods when possible) full office, all my drivers, all Xp service packs and beersmith (c;mon - that was the fist piece of non-crucial software i loaded!!). I thought i would **** up and miss a driver or two, but it appears i did alright. No system errors. i think i will leave the oc to another day. And all in about an hour and 15. i am more than happy and think i will keep on my cream ales and give myself a pat on the back!! :mug::mug:

Well, after a few home-brews, i have decided to format my pc tonight to clean it up and upgrade from xp to xp pro. Hopefully all goes well. I have backed up my beersmith files on at least 4 different sources, so if i loose my recipes, it will be a' ****ing 'mazing. 2- 500mb HD's may take a while, but as long as I got my beer handy all will be well. I my not format my slave tonight as I can do it any night as it is mostly full of ripped DVD's and misc crap i won't miss anyway!! :mug:

Huh?
10chars

Mine is getting an overhaul soon. Fricken Mobo and CPUhad to be replaced though. Skipping gay ass vista for Win 7

Vista is fine. I have never had a single problem with it (32bit and 64bit). Still haven't figured out why it gets a bad rap - I guess it's those Mac commericials, or stupid people who can't use a PC and expect Vista to read their mind.

BTW, from what I have seen, Windows 7 is basically Vista.

Vista is fine. I have never had a single problem with it (32bit and 64bit). Still haven't figured out why it gets a bad rap - I guess it's those Mac commericials, or stupid people who can't use a PC and expect Vista to read their mind.

Its not bad per sei - but **** it is annoying.

I use Linux Mint for every day. Kills! Windows

I don't know why either. I've been running it for weeks without a restart and no issues like XP used to have. I've run Vista for about a year and my system is as responsive as day 1. XP seems like it has a 9 month limit of responsiveness, and gets to be unusable unless you run it barebones. My only complaint of vista is the User Access Control and the simple solution is to just turn it off. Just make sure you have a good antivirus/antispyware program installed first :D. In addition DirectX 10 is fantastic for gaming compared to either XP or anything linux has to offer. I game from time to time and the eye candy DX10 supports is fabulous if you have the vid card to show it. Now for normal web surfing and office stuff I use Ubuntu, but their missing link is gaming IMHO. Once they figure that out it will be the downfall of M$.

I don't know why either. I've been running it for weeks without a restart and no issues like XP used to have. I've run Vista for about a year and my system is as responsive as day 1. XP seems like it has a 9 month limit of responsiveness, and gets to be unusable unless you run it barebones. My only complaint of vista is the User Access Control and the simple solution is to just turn it off. Just make sure you have a good antivirus/antispyware program installed first :D. In addition DirectX 10 is fantastic for gaming compared to either XP or anything linux has to offer. I game from time to time and the eye candy DX10 supports is fabulous if you have the vid card to show it. Now for normal web surfing and office stuff I use Ubuntu, but their missing link is gaming IMHO. Once they figure that out it will be the downfall of M$.

I am going to try out ubuntu since I do all my gaming on ps3 now. Backing up as I type this.

I am going to try out ubuntu since I do all my gaming on ps3 now. Backing up as I type this.

Yeah, I was thinking about buying a XB360...but then I got a new video card and it came with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Crysis. Yeah, I'm going to be gaming on the PC for a while still :D.

Yeah, I was thinking about buying a XB360...but then I got a new video card and it came with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Crysis. Yeah, I'm going to be gaming on the PC for a while still :D.

I used to be a die hard pc gamer, but it just didnt make sense anymore once the upgrades started costing more than a system (PS3) that I can play on a 46 inch 1080p tv, and also have wifi and blue ray capabilities.

Not only that, I just dont see much development for pc games like i used to, since some the latest consoles have become so powerful.

There will always be a tug of war between computers graphical development becoming more powerful compared to the home console. I think eventually your home computer will make its way into everybody's living room. There will be a blend of technology as computers become even more powerful surpassing software needs.

Vista is fine...now. It had all sorts of problems when it was released though. Most symantec programs would not work with it. The system crashed regularly. My system one time after a crash wanted me to put in my ID code and would not accept it. Had to get on the horn with Microsoft and was without a computer for about three days. Plus, upgrading to Vista was pretty much not possilbe. It was very unlikely that the average PC was going to be able to upgrade to Vista from XP.

It is mostly stable now, and does have some neat features, but I only got it to test it at work. There really isnt any reason to move from XP to Vista that I can think of.

Vista has grown up a lot since it came out. I have no interest in it, but I have an older system and will likely skip it as by the time I put money back into my computers, I will be ready for W7. What's nice is that my wife's uncle is a regional sale guy or something for M$ and I can get OSs and Office for family rate (I won't tell you how much because you'd hate me) and it's all perfectly legal, so no more pirated software.

I ran Vista for a few weeks, but didn't care for it. Granted, I had just installed WoW, so I spent most of my time playing that, AND the HDD was known to be bad and likely not to last long (it didn't), but just trying to figure out how Vista interface worked was a chore.

No doubt that W7 will be better, but mostly because hardware drivers support will be better, and it's basically Vista service pack with the things that people hated taken out and things people loved left in.

Our corporate IT has declared Vista unsupported, so if we get new machines we have to make sure they can be "downgraded" to XP. I suspect that we will be adopting W7 when it comes out though.

Won't be long before all gaming is done in the cloud, and your PC, console, or whatever is only a display device to let you play from the cloud. Sort of like the client/server paradigm applied to games. Will be really cool when that happens because then you can play whatever game you want no matter what device you happen to have.

I agree with all of that.

Vista Blows!!! If I cared I would install it and strip it as much as I could. MS security BS, driver issues, ect. XP Pro on all my boxes except my MacBook Pro.

The Mojave Experiment

Suckers!!!

Can't tell if you are serious or not, but I have never had a driver issue. Vista has been way better than XP ever was.

Vista is fine...now. It had all sorts of problems when it was released though. Most symantec programs would not work with it. The system crashed regularly. My system one time after a crash wanted me to put in my ID code and would not accept it. Had to get on the horn with Microsoft and was without a computer for about three days. Plus, upgrading to Vista was pretty much not possilbe. It was very unlikely that the average PC was going to be able to upgrade to Vista from XP.

It is mostly stable now, and does have some neat features, but I only got it to test it at work. There really isnt any reason to move from XP to Vista that I can think of.

I got it a month after it was released (fo free!, legally) and never had any problems with hardware or software.

With all that said, if Linux supported Adobe software (wine and the commerical equivalent don't work well with it) I would switch to it as primary in a heartbeat. I started out using dual booting with Fedora, then I used Arch for awhile, and reinstalled Fedora. I like a little more user friendly interface. All that manual crap gets old after awhile.

Mutilated... man, I think you're about 3 years too late! My buddy came to work for our small tech company from a company called GameRail. That company was recently purchased by another company called OnLive.... This new service will supposidly allow users to play any third-party game developed on any platform (PS, Xbox, PC, etc.) via the internet. Imagine being able to play any game, in high definition, without having to buy any more consoles. Here's a link to the article on CNN:

OnLive could threaten Xbox, PS3 and Wii - CNN.com

takes even less if you get a drive imaging program :D. I used ghost for a while until it got too expensive...but there are a few others out there that make "refreshing" your system such a pleasure. With ghost, I'd have my OS, drivers, and essential applications restored in under 45 minutes. If you keep your OS on one drive and your personal files on another, even better. Cheers to you, and your fresh install! :mug:

I have a RIS Server set up and although I still have to use a floppy to kick it off it is quick and painless

Why did you re format your second drive was it infected? The purpose of my additional drives or partitions is so that I never lose data since it is generally only the system partition that gets corrupted

Yep, I am ready for a format C:\ party too on my HTPC machine.

I have slackware on the pc in the back room running openGL X11 with the 3D desktop. Yep, I use to be a nerd :)

I haven't played in front of a console in so long, I am not sure how I would do now though, but I got the 3D desktop to work on a geforce 2 which was not suppose to work so that is something :)

The general issue with Vista is the same general issue with Windows 7: it's expensive and you don't need it. Windows XP does everything 99.9% of the population needs to do on a computer. Vista brings no competitive advantage to businesses either.

That reminds me. I need to defraggle this laptop. I hate those little bastards, always singing and dancing and telling jokes in there.

This .. from a Gnome. lol

Vista slows down 90% of systems and when you buy a new laptop or PC many companies are offering free Downgrade CD's.

I'm going to dual boot my eee pc 1000h with XP and OSX soon.

Why did you re format your second drive was it infected? The purpose of my additional drives or partitions is so that I never lose data since it is generally only the system partition that gets corrupted

Just time for a good cleaning. Like I said, not much on it dvds, some music, and a bunch of Photoshop junk just taking up space. :ban:

Can't tell if you are serious or not, but I have never had a driver issue. Vista has been way better than XP ever was.

I have had only minor driver problems with XP Pro. Only major one was a Wireless adapter upgrade problem with SP3 and I rolled that back to SP2. I have built a few machines with Vista for people at work and it was a nightmare. Laptop would not install anything and a desktop hated the chipset and lan drivers.

I am picky on my OS and went from 98SE to 2K to XP Pro and have not looked back. Overclocker at heart.

Vista is the second ME IMO.

After taking a look at ubuntu, I am sticking with XP and using imaging software (acronis) after re-install. That way there will be no reinstall again. Ubuntu looks good, but not a permanent option.

I have had Vista for almost 2 years. Zero problems so far. Super easy to modify preferences to take out some of the stuff you don't need/want. No virus problems, no problems with hardware or software. Love the capability connect Windows Media Center to an Xbox360 so I can watch recorded TV, movies, or any other media from my computer in the living room. My only complaint is I can't get used to the new MS Office (not really a Vista problem, though)

Back