Time to contribute!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm not druck, but I'm a bit loopy on pain meds that stem from a dentist's visit a few days ago. Anyhow, the vicodin has made me a bit chatty and SWMBO is getting sick of me talking to her. I'm really in the mood for a beer, but I'm gonna steer clear of that. Anyhow, whenever I have had dental work done, the dentists always have volunteered various meds to ride things out with. I recall one stretch where in the span of 2 months I ended up getting 2 vicodin, 1 percocet and 1 flexeril prescriptions. (Root canal, and wisdom teeth pulled in that time). I'm not a fiend for those things so it took me a looooong time to get through them. But they are nice to have on hand for a particularly bad headache or something. I had another root canal done this time, opposite tooth of the first one. Braces when I was younger triggered the need for them I'm afraid. The metal bands around the molars destroyed the enamel and 18 years later they need some love. Anyways, this resulted in 2 vicodin prescriptions. Craziness, the dentist knows I have to work, right? What's funny is that the bad part about a root canal isn't any pain with the procedure, it's just the trauma from the novacaine injections. Well, that was bothering me in particular today, and thus the vicodin fueled chattiness this evening. I tough it out at work because I'd get nothing done otherwise. Heck, I tried it one of the days and I discovered that I couldn't focus at all. It's a small company and everyone is really cool so we were all making fun of my difficulty to focus that day. Forget doing that again though. Fortunately there were no IT emergencies for me that day and I managed to sober up for the last hour or so. Well, I guess I'm about done chatting at the text box for now. I have no idea why people are afraid of the dentist, these guys sure know how to party!

Too loopy for an occasional paragraph break?

:)
(Although I despise the emoticon, I just wanted to let you know that this is a good natured post)

Heard root canals become more painful as you move from the incisors towards the molars. I had one done on a lateral incisor (right beside front tooth , also called central incisor) about 8 years ago and it was no worse than getting a cavity filled.

Nah, the root canal is a breeze, even on a molar. What REALLY hurts is the toothache that leads to the root canal. The worst pain that I have ever had in my entire life has been from a toothache. (Led to my first one) It hurt so much that after I got the novacaine shot on that one my hands were shaking from how tense with pain I had been. I almost blacked out that time heh. I just can't wait to get the crown on, this temporary thing feels weird.

with all due respect, i guess my reply is why the hell you waited until it hurt that bad to get it looked at. not trying to beat up on you, but i am involved at a high level with a medical group and it saddens me to hear the stories on almost a daily basis that a patient has cancer and waited too long to get it looked at because they thought it was a minor issue or didn't have insurance to pay for it. 1) our health care system is broken and 2) there is nothing worth putting your life at risk for, insurance or not, the cost is not worth it. :rockin::rockin: start being proactive about your health, oral, physical AND mental. i love to brew and drink beer, but i also love to run and enjoy the outdoors and strain my brain to figure out problems/issues. Balancing your life is the only suggestion i have.

So in college I had a root canal get infected a week later or so. Damn bastard said I needed an "artificial wound", which turns out means him drawing an X on my gums and drilling a hole right through:eek:

No amount of pain stuff will prepare you for that one. Had one nurse holding my head down and another holding my feet down.

Or was that the alien abduction? I get mixed up.

I'm torn as to my "worst pain" experience. It's a tossup between having a bone shard in an infected wisdom tooth socket cauterized (acid-soaked gauze in the socket for a couple of days), or renal colic from kidney stones.

At this point, I think I've taken more dilaudid than Elvis, just not all at once. The bone shard was several days of generalized pain. The renal colic was shorter, but landed me in the ER.

I never thought I'd be one of those people in the ER telling the nurse "Whatever, just get me something to kill the pain!", but I've been proven wrong. Several times.

Back