time to bottle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellofello

Reaction score
I have 4 buckets which I made three weeks ago. I was planning to bottle this weekend but 2 buckets are still bubbling slowly. I am an over the road truck driver so I haven't been here much to monitor the fermentation. all the buckets were prepared in the same manner an all had begun bubbling the morning after brewing when I left.

I assume I definitely should not bottle if it is still bubbling, is that correct ? If so, is it okay to bottle the two buckets which are not bubbling or should I let them rest longer as well ?

mellofello said:
I have 4 buckets which I made three weeks ago. I was planning to bottle this weekend but 2 buckets are still bubbling slowly. I am an over the road truck driver so I haven't been here much to monitor the fermentation. all the buckets were prepared in the same manner an all had begun bubbling the morning after brewing when I left.

I assume I definitely should not bottle if it is still bubbling, is that correct ? If so, is it okay to bottle the two buckets which are not bubbling or should I let them rest longer as well ?

why not just drink it out of the bucket? but you can leave all 4 sitting there for two weeks or more and it will
make the beer clearer and flate. But i here that if you let it sit on tje yeast cake it may taste different than fresh beer because the yeast undergoe cell lysis(death) which release different flavors not found in traditional beer, however it is full of vitamin b and other stuff. -Daniel
Biomedical scientist :sweet

I may drink some out of the bucket, but I prefer it carbonated. Also, I don't think it's wise to remove the lids (thereby reintroducing oxygen and any bacteria floating around) any more than necessary. I've never attempted secondary fermentation before, but maybe this would be a good time to do so rather than leave sitting on the yeast as you mentioned.

mellofello said:
I may drink some out of the bucket, but I prefer it carbonated. Also, I don't think it's wise to remove the lids (thereby reintroducing oxygen and any bacteria floating around) any more than necessary. I've never attempted secondary fermentation before, but maybe this would be a good time to do so rather than leave sitting on the yeast as you mentioned.

yes i agree to letting it clear and settle in the secondary. you will get a better tasting beer in the end and will look alot
clearer in the bottles when you get there. but you can have the lids open for transfering as the alcaholic solution is resistant to baxteria. good luck and have fun!

why not just drink it out of the bucket? but you can leave all 4 sitting there for two weeks or more and it will
make the beer clearer and flate. But i here that if you let it sit on tje yeast cake it may taste different than fresh beer because the yeast undergoe cell lysis(death) which release different flavors not found in traditional beer, however it is full of vitamin b and other stuff. -Daniel
Biomedical scientist :sweet

Wow. That's all I can say.

thanks for the tips, I really don't have a secondary. lol, but I guess I could siphon the buckets back into my keggle. go dump the trub on my garden, clean the buckets, and refill ? maybe sample a glass or two in the process and try to bottle in a week or two ?

mellofello said:
thanks for the tips, I really don't have a secondary. lol, but I guess I could siphon the buckets back into my keggle. go dump the trub on my garden, clean the buckets, and refill ? maybe sample a glass or two in the process and try to bottle in a week or two ?

do whatever it takes. or u can buy a beer kit lol

Leave the beer on the yeast to finish fermenting, nothing bad will happen if the beer sits on the yeast a while longer. If you don't already have one then invest in a hydrometer so you can tell when fermentation is complete.

My guess is that the beer is done. The bubbles may just be co2 sneaking out. You will not hurt the beer by leaving it on the yeast, even for a few more weeks. I left an ale on the yeast for 3 monts and it was super clear and just full of awesome. If you have a hydro, take a reading over the next few days, if it stays the same bottle away.

Back