Time savings for brew day–splitting into 2days, storing wort and boiling the nextday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyburt

Reaction score
Can wort be stored and then later boiled to finish off a brew day?

I’ve been thinking of a way to save time doing all grain. I came up with mashing and lautering to kettle and then leaving till the next day to boil and continue process.

Since the wort will be boiled anyway would there be any issues with bacteria?

well, if bacteria takes up residence during the day, then it will ruin the flavor, the boil will definitely kill it off. Up to you... I think, if you keep sanitation really clean, and cover it up well over nite, then it is likely to be fine, you're just making a bigger window where off flavors can be introduced. Most cases would "probably" be fine, but murphy's law is waiting and any extra time you give the beasties to live, they'll find it... Thus why the usual process is to do all at once reducing exposure time.

Here's a nice article that discusses your exact question... http://***********/stories/wizard/a...wizard/1936-shortening-the-brew-day-mr-wizard

Back