Time machine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvervan83

Reaction score
If you were transported back in time (ie 1400s ) with all the beer knowledge you have now... would you brew?

How would you do it : what would you use for a mash tun? ect?

Where would you find hops and malt?

Wild yeast?

Fermentation vessel?

Do you think a piece of leather with a bunch of holes punched in it would make a good false bottom?

For the boil maybe a wooden barrel w/ a spigot near the bottom and rocks heated in a fire to boil the wort. Same for fermentation but you would probably have to rely on wid yeast for at least the first batch.

Hmmm. I guess we'd also get to pick where we'd land. Otherwise it'd be Prickly Pear mead, Pulque and Chicha due to the hop and barley shortage of 1400 in Meso-America. ;)

North America so that the American Indians could show me how to brew with Maize and such then I could of got a 1 Up on the BMC ers.

I imagine that I would just learn how the people of the time did it. Pretty much every household brewed their own back then, so being a homebrewer wouldn't be such an oddity. But, then, since brewing was primarily done by the women, maybe I wouldn't brew.

Back