Time in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopspop1176

Reaction score
Ny thoughts out there on how long I can leave a Scotch Ale in my secondary. I only have one keg and I ont have it available for a week or two. The Scotch Ale has been in the secondary 2 weeks now. Any comments would be appreciated.

If your sanitation was good and you don't have to much headspace you could leave it for months. A week or two should be no problem.

You can easily leave the beer in the secondary for 2-3 weeks with no problems. That's what I love about brewing... It is accommodating to the time frame (not so much on brewday). I'm a lazy guy, so if I don't want to do whatever (bottle, rack to secondary, etc) I can wait without worrying about injury to the product. I love that, you know?

I've done a secondary for four months, and nother for two months. Both beers carbed up beautifully.

Beers can age for years in secondary. You'd want to be sure yeast and trub is racked off before sitting it aside for that long, but it is doable.

Latest posts

Back