time for pumpkin beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
Im looking forward to a pumpkin beer. the best pumpkin beer that ive had has been dogfish head punkin beer. Searched through the recipe area, ive found several promising pumpkin recipes. Right now im leaning towards thunderstruck pumpkin ale. Id like to step it up to about 7-8% abv. Who else is planning a pumpkin beer and what recipes are you using?

Mine has been fermenting for about a week now. I used:
12lbs of Canadian 2-row
.25lb Black
1oz of cascade @60
.5oz Cascade @15
60oz of 100% canned pumpkin (in the boil)
3 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp of nutmeg
1.5 tsp of all spice

Fermenting with US-05

I let all the pumpkin from the boil go right into the fermenter. Now that it's in there anyone have a good way to strain it out later on. It's not packing down very well like a yeast cake and I really don't want to loose all the beer in that very thick layer. I was thinking about using a secondary and racking right through one of those mesh bags. I would however be worried about oxidation. Anyone else have an idea?

I made a pumpkin wine last year.

I havnt sat down to revise the recipe yet though.

When I do it will wind up being a beer though cause I gonna use about 5 or 6#'s of dme to ad body, and steeping grains.

Guess I'll sit on the patio tommorrow with a bottle of that and work it out.

Its funny you say that bill because the wine Im talking about I used 3 pounds of fresh pumkin meat. I actually called it "Pumpkin Pie" In a bottle. Wound up with 2 gallon of trub... yup pumpkin meat. The spices were the best part of it

Was thinking about doing a pumpkin beer,
Just without the pumpkin. After i have heard so many people having problems with either in the mash tun or in the boil kettle with adding the pumpkin, I figure its best if i want a pumpkin beer to just try the spices first before starting a headache.

Had a few ideas... One is use some of the pumpkin pie spice that is already premixed.
2nd idea was take my favorite pumpkin pie recipe and look at the amounts.

But if your using say 1 tsp of cinnamon in a pie....How does that convert into 5 gal batch of beer?

Just a thought, Just been to busy to make beer :(

It's not packing down very well like a yeast cake and I really don't want to loose all the beer in that very thick layer. I was thinking about using a secondary and racking right through one of those mesh bags. I would however be worried about oxidation. Anyone else have an idea?

Maybe try the gelatin thing before the secondary to see if that helps coagulate the pumpkin meat then let the beer run through a grain bag at the bottom of the bottling bucket.

I have heard it's best, and cleanest, to mash the pumpkin. Personally, the one time I tried it, I steeped it in a mesh bag with the crystal. Didn't lose much extra to the trub that way, and even then you can squeeze your wort out of what the pumpkin sucked up anyway (unless you're scared of extracting harsh pumpkin tannins...)

I'm not really sure if the pumpkin did much for the flavor (as others have said, pumpkin pie spice is what you're thinking of with a pumpkin beer), but it definitely gave the beer a nice orange color. If you want that, by all means...

I have heard it's best, and cleanest, to mash the pumpkin. Personally, the one time I tried it, I steeped it in a mesh bag with the crystal. Didn't lose much extra to the trub that way, and even then you can squeeze your wort out of what the pumpkin sucked up anyway (unless you're scared of extracting harsh pumpkin tannins...)

I'm not really sure if the pumpkin did much for the flavor (as others have said, pumpkin pie spice is what you're thinking of with a pumpkin beer), but it definitely gave the beer a nice orange color. If you want that, by all means...

I was thinking... I'm planning on doing a butternut squash beer for the fall, basically the same as pumpkin. I do AG and mash in a 10g cooler. Would it be a good idea to contain the squash in a mesh bag inside the mash tun to keep the solids from adding too much trub or would I be missing out on flavor that way?

I brew my pumpkin spice without any actual pumpkin in it. Took it to a brew club meeting and nobody could tell there was no pumpkin in it

Back