Time for my first Oktoberfest; need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmybeer

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers, looking for some input on my recipe for my first Oktoberfest I'd like to make. I've consulted Ray Daniel's book a bit and looked at some other recipes as reference. On hand I've got a pound total of C-20 and Biscuit Malt looking for a home so thought I'd toss them in here.

Let me know what you think. I have only had a few commercial Oktoberfests and have zero experience brewing them.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs German Pilsner (1.6 SRM) Grain 1 45.5 %
3 lbs German Vienna Malt (3.8 SRM) Grain 2 27.3 %
2 lbs Borlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 18.2 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 18.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 4.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) [124.21 ml] Yeast 9 -

I'm open to suggestion on anything but picked the bohemian lager yeast because don't have room to ferment in the lager range and have read this is yeast can be successful in the 60s.

IBU for that style is 20-30, yours is at 29.4 which is on the high side of the range. Don't use Biscuit and Caramel Malt, replace with more munich or vienna. You'll get more of a pale ale type beer flavor with those and you don't want that in this style. I would change the hop additions to 1 oz @ 60 min, .5 oz @15 min and .5 oz @ 0 min. I not saying that it wouldn't be good, it just wouldn't be authentic. If that's what you want then go for it.

Alright, I guess that was the answer I was looking for....

I don't know why I am so desperately trying to find a home for the biscuit and C-20. There will be more beers in the future. I had the IBU's that high to match up with the SG to keep the Bitterness Ratio inline with Daniel's book and I don't mind if it's a little more heavily hopped. Also, I thought there wasn't supposed to be any hop aroma for an Oktoberfest which is why I kept all the additions above 15m.

Alright, updated. I'll find a new home for my buscuit and C-20. What about the percentages here? I guess it's just a matter of preference when deciding how much of what to use and I'm thinking this is pretty evenly distributed for my first Oktoberfest so I can make changes next time around.

I should mention that I am thinking about doing my second decoction mash just because (I hate myself) I think it could be fun.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs German Pilsner (1.6 SRM) Grain 1 45.5 %
4 lbs German Vienna Malt (3.8 SRM) Grain 2 36.4 %
2 lbs Borlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 18.2 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 18.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 4.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -

That looks much better. You are right about the hop aroma so the hops are fine. I do use some at 0 min. though over time they tend to drop out of the aroma. When I brew Octoberfests they are roughly 50% pilsner malt and 50% munich/vienna so your percentages look good.

Good luck with the decoction, it's a lot of work but the end result should be worth the trouble.

Good luck with the decoction, it's a lot of work but the end result should be worth the trouble.

I've heard contradicting evidence on this and am not sure it will be worth the trouble but I did like doing it last time so I'm gonna give it another shot. It kind of seems like the best reason nowadays is if you enjoy tradition

I've heard contradicting evidence on this and am not sure it will be worth the trouble but I did like doing it last time so I'm gonna give it another shot. It kind of seems like the best reason nowadays is if you enjoy tradition

I have a couple of beerstyles that I feel like I "need" to decoct! I always decoct Bohemian pilsners, and usually Oktoberfests.

I use a bit of caraMunich in my Oktoberfest, but otherwise it's pilsner/Munich/Vienna malt.

I have a couple of beerstyles that I feel like I "need" to decoct! I always decoct Bohemian pilsners, and usually Oktoberfests.

I use a bit of caraMunich in my Oktoberfest, but otherwise it's pilsner/Munich/Vienna malt.

What decoction schedule do you use?

I ended up tossing in a half pound of caramunich as well

Latest posts

Back