Time for another IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
Going for a relatively aggressive American style IPA. I think this will turn out great but I always appreciate comments and suggestions from my fellow HB'ers.

3 lbs. extra-light DME (60 min)
4 lbs. extra-light DME (10 min)
1/2 lb. crystal 40L
1/4 lb. crystal 80L
1/4 lb. toasted malt
1/4 lb. CaraPils
1 oz. Chinook (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min)
1 oz. Centennial (10 min)
1 oz. Cascade (5 min)
1 oz. Chinook (Dry hop)
1 oz. Cascade (Dry hop)
Nottingham

that will be a very pleasing IPA!

I think so too.

A buddy of mine was brewing the other day with some Chinook hops. As soon as I smelled them I knew I'd be dry hopping my next IPA with them. I'm hoping this will be a good beer to sip next to a camp fire this summer.

Cheers :mug:

How long are you planning on dry hopping? The aroma might benefit from .5 oz of each for a week and then the other .5 oz of each for the next week. A staggered dry hopping if you will. At least, thats what I would try after listening to the BrewStrong episode on dry hopping. If you haven't heard it, here is the link:

The Brewing Network.com - :

How long are you planning on dry hopping? The aroma might benefit from .5 oz of each for a week and then the other .5 oz of each for the next week. A staggered dry hopping if you will.

One of my favorite IPA's (from Harmon brewing in Tacoma) is double dry hopped. I'll probably secondary for two weeks so that would work out well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd like to try something like this... so for an AG recipe I'd just use 7lbs of Pale Malt or something like that? That'd be a grain bill of 8.25lbs, not too light?

I'd like to try something like this... so for an AG recipe I'd just use 7lbs of Pale Malt or something like that? That'd be a grain bill of 8.25lbs, not too light?

I'm sure an all-grain brewer could give you some better info, but I believe you would need to use around 10 lbs. of 2-row to get around the right starting gravity. Of course there are other factors to consider when doing all-grain and I'm not an AG brewer so take that for what it's worth.

Brewed this bad boy on Wednesday. It fermented like crazy (gotta love notty) for a few days and has now calmed quite a bit. I'll be racking in a few days and double dry hopping. My IPA supply is dwindling so this should be done not a moment too soon.

this looks delicious.

i've got a question about your double dry hopping technique. are you putting your hops in a bag and pulling them out after a week or will you just dump the next round on top?

this looks delicious.

i've got a question about your double dry hopping technique. are you putting your hops in a bag and pulling them out after a week or will you just dump the next round on top?

I dry hop with pellets and just throw them in. They usually just settle out by the time bottling comes around. I'll probably do 1/2 oz. of each for two weeks, and then again for 1 week, like nealf suggested.

Back