Time for an upgrade!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I've been thinking about this, and I've realized that it is time to upgrade my equipment. I've been dinking along with a 20qt stock pot. My normal procedure is to boil 3-4gallons of water, let it go for a bit to clear out the chlorine, and then chill it and transfer it to my bucket to cool more while I brew the actual wort. Then I do ~4gals normally, chill that, and transfer it to the carboy. Then I top it off with the chilled boiled water.

I looked over my Imperial IPA recipe, and I don't think there is any way in hell I can use that tiny little pot and add almost 16lbs of material to it without having massive boilovers and utter chaos. So, I'm going to buy a bigger brew pot.

I see at Academy they have 30qt stainless steel turkey fryer kits for ~$50. Will that be sufficient for a full 5gal boil? I don't know if I can get anything bigger nearby. I'd have to order it online, which seems like it would be pricey and also take too long. Any advice?

If you're going to upgrade, it's best to go for as large a kettle as you can afford. I recently purchased one of these from Williams as my new brew kettle and I absolutely love it. I upgraded the valve on the bottom to a nice 3 piece, 1/2" stainless from McMaster. They also have a 36 qt available for less.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/52_QUART_STAINLESS_TANK_WITH_V_P1731C50.cfm

Back