Time between crushing grains and using them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
I typically do extract brews with steeping grains, and I crush the grains at the local homebrew shop when I buy the ingredients. But I typically have to wait a week before I can actually brew the beer. How much freshness am I losing by not using the crushed grains for a week? Thanks

If they are in a sealed bag you should be good. I run into the same problem with gettting them crushed then not brewing for a week or so. If you throw them in the freezer you will get rid of any risk of mold if there was any moisture on the grain or in the bag when it was sealed. I have used the grain that day and in 2 weeks and have not noticed a difference. All the fermentables are coming from the extract and not the grain anyways and it is imparting only a small percentage of flavor so it will be ok!

RDWHAHB. :)

Your specialty grains could sit for a week on the kitchen counter and not go slack. Just seal it up, keep it dry and keep critters out of it and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Bob

Sorry, I should have clarified. The grains are kept in a brown paper bag that the LHBS puts them in. So if I forsee a long time before brewing, should I put them in a plastic freezer type ziploc bag and put them in the freezer?

Sorry, I should have clarified. The grains are kept in a brown paper bag that the LHBS puts them in. So if I forsee a long time before brewing, should I put them in a plastic freezer type ziploc bag and put them in the freezer?

You can leave cracked grains in that paper bag on your counter for up to 30 days.

I had a hole batches worth of grain in a trash bag for three monthes. Its lagering right now. I have tasted it and it is one of my top two batches ever. Go figure.

Back