Time between bubbles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

web250

Reaction score
What should the average time between bubbles in my primary be?

Pitched Wednesday afternoon, by Thursday morning I was at 2 bubbles per second. Now Saturday morning I'm at like 1 bubble every 3 seconds.

What is "average" and what is considered "done"?

c.n.budz said:
There is no average, every fermentation is different. You don't want to rely on airlock activity to judge fermentation, you can only tell for sure by taking hydrometer readings

Wouldn't it be bad though to take off the lid more than once to take a reading? Like how long approximately should I wait before I attempt to find my FG?

You're looking for a specific answer and there isn't any.

All fermentations are dfferent. They are based upon several factors such as yeast count, amount of malt sugar they have to eat, temperature of the wort at pitching time and fermentation temperature, etc.

Some of the numbers you should have paid attention to I can bet you glanced over...what's the attenuation of the yeast? What, you say??? Check the yeast packaging. On it it'll state the attenuation. If it's not there check a cross reference chart or the manufactureres website for the info. I use 75%.

Removing the cover for a peek will not infect the brew unless you took a dump, wiped with your hands, didn't wash up, and got crap inside the bucket...an extreme example, I hope...:D

The only true way of knowing your brew is done fermenting is by using a hydrometer. If your OG has dropped within the range of the attenuation numbers then it's done fermenting...thus your FG.

The bubbles, for lack of a better term, are for show. They give you something to look at while it's fermenting. :ban: When they begin to slow down then you can take your readings.

Many experienced brewers will not even look into the primary until day 10 or so. Then only to take a gravity reading and do the calculations. If the FG is not within the proper range the cover goes back on.

Learn more patience. The beer will taste better in the end. ;)

The bubbles can be used to confirm that it's not done, but the lack of bubbles doesn't mean it is done.

Wait at least 1 week (2 is better) before taking a reading, and if you're still getting bubbles by then, don't bother opening it for a couple more days. When you do take your reading, check it a few days later to make sure that it hasn't changed, or it may not be done.

On the other hand, if you're using a secondary, it doesn't have to be completely finished before you rack it to the secondary, and it will almost certainly be done by the time it spends 2-3 weeks in the secondary.

Hope this helps.

I check on the sixth day and if it reads the same on the seventh day. I transfer to secondary for two weeks, then bottle for minimum of thee weeks. If you are fermenting in bottling bucket with spigot, I sometime open the spigot and and take sample for reading. I don't see how this can contaiminate anything beacause you are running wort out and nothing should be entering in. It seems safer then removing lid if you are worried abou contamination. Just make sure you use a siphon when you are ready to transfer and not the spigot.

My rules of thumb are 10 - 14 days or 1 bubble every 5 minutes. Then I take a measurement to see if its finished.

Thanks for the replies. And no, this isn't a question of my patience, because I have no problem waiting, because I like good beer!

I'll check my SG on day 7 (Wednesday).

I usually wait about two weeks during primary. I dont really bother with a hydrometer cause i break the damn things all the time. Then i let it sit in secondary for two weeks or so.

I have waited til there was no countable airlock activity by that i mean i was unwilling to stand therelong enough to see another bubble usually about 90 sec. The first time it turned out to be spot on this time I ended up way to high and repitched with a different yeast and its a big PITA.

Just checked my SG, and it is my FG. About 1.010. Smells like a blue moon.

Bottling to commence tomorrow once I get my hands on 24 more bottles!

Krausen was very high too, hit the lid, and is all over the sides.

web250 said:
Just checked my SG, and it is my FG. About 1.010. Smells like a blue moon.
Bottling to commence tomorrow once I get my hands on 24 more bottles!
Krausen was very high too, hit the lid, and is all over the sides.

One week is too fast to bottle your beer. If you want good tasting beer, leave it for two more weeks. The yeast cleans up after it's fermentation party if you let it. I know it's hard to wait but your beer will be much better if you do.

Nurmey said:
One week is too fast to bottle your beer. If you want good tasting beer, leave it for two more weeks. The yeast cleans up after it's fermentation party if you let it. I know it's hard to wait but your beer will be much better if you do.

That's not necessarily true, especially for something like a wit. By the time it's done carbonating in the bottle, it'll probably be great to drink.

TL

TexLaw said:
That's not necessarily true, especially for something like a wit. By the time it's done carbonating in the bottle, it'll probably be great to drink.

TL

Now that's the kind of post I wanna see haha.

:mug:

I've also read that the 123 rule doesn't necessarily apply to wits. They are speed demons of beer from what I gather. The impatient man's Brew. That's why I looked for one for my second batch but to no luck at my HBS that day. Stock looked like the grocery stores ran out of beer so everyone had to make their own. Ended up with a nut brown ale.

Back