tilt v.s. brew bug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is a dedicated tablet needed for this? I was considering getting one, but I was just thinking I could go by my fermentor with my phone and get a reading. Would that not work?

That will work, but you will lose out on the history. The Tilt itself doesn't record past readings - it just broadcasts the current gravity. You're relying on the receiving device (phone, tablet, raspberry pi) to actually make the record.

That will work, but you will lose out on the history.

That is actually not true. The Tilt can connect to a google sheet through the app. So you just connect to the Tilt a couple times a day, or whenever you are near, and it will automatically send the data to the cloud and record it. You won't have a complete record, but enough of a record to see trends. You do not need a dedicated device. Unless you want to monitor it when you are not home.

Here is mine, checking the reading a couple times a day, more then enough to see the trend:

Tilt_Hydrometer_Cloud_-_Google_Sheets.png

I got mine and is in my Irish Red ale. The Google sheet is set up and responding. But do I leave the box checked to the " Check here to start logging data to the cloud"? And I am assuming that it logs in automatically, or do I need to check and uncheck it to log it to the Google sheets?
Checked on after several hours...looks like it is logging it in every 15 minutes with the cloud box check marked. love this tilt thing so far.

I got mine and is in my Irish Red ale. The Google sheet is set up and responding. But do I leave the box checked to the " Check here to start logging data to the cloud"? And I am assuming that it logs in automatically, or do I need to check and uncheck it to log it to the Google sheets?
Checked on after several hours...looks like it is logging it in every 15 minutes with the cloud box check marked. love this tilt thing so far.

How did it work out? Thinking about getting one.

That is actually not true. The Tilt can connect to a google sheet through the app. S

Sort of. If your device can't communicate with the Tilt, you lose that data. I can show you my current brew that lost communication with the Tilt. A few gaps for sure. If you have a device that communicates with the Tilt all the time, which is sketchy, you are good, but it isn't 100%. :mug:

I have a dedicated tablet near the fermenter to use with the Tilt. It was an extra $50 but why not, you could use an old phone or an old tablet you have on hand. It is always on and recording the gravity and temps, and sending them to the Google sheet on my PC.

Is it possible to use multiple devices with the Tilt? Meaning, I have my work phone receiving data while I'm home, then my personal phone or tablet pulling data when I'm at work?

Is it possible to use multiple devices with the Tilt?

Yep. All you need to do is plug in the URL of the page, where the Tilt is sending the data, into the app.

Edit: You just need to make sure you close out of the app on one device and reopen the app on the "second" device. This allows the app to re-establish the bluetooth connection to the Tilt.

cant you just log into Google and look at the Google drive to see the "tilt hydrometer cloud" on each one?
But if your talking about getting the Tilt info, it is only a Bluetooth application and you need to have a dedicated device to keep close to the Tilt to see the results. But when you have that dedicated device at home on all the time checking out the Tilt app and have that device logged into Google via wifi you can see the results of your tilt anywhere with the Google drive when you set that up.

cant you just log into Google and look at the Google drive to see the "tilt hydrometer cloud" on each one?

and have that device logged into Google via wifi you can see the results of your tilt anywhere with the Google drive when you set that up.

Yes, you can log into Google drive from any computer and see the data that the Tilt is sending.

The device doesn't need to be logged into Google to send data. You put the URL of the spreadsheet into the Tilt app. That is how it logs the data. The spreadsheet is technically a writeable website.

So I don't need to keep that tablet always logged into google with the tilt info connected to it? (Jez sorry that is just what you said isn't it), I just don't get it. Not being any kind of techy (am I showing my age?) I just followed the directions and it some how worked. Not really knowing how it worked I am happy with the results.

So I don't need to keep that tablet always logged into google with the tilt info connected to it?

Correct. The device doesn't need to be logged into Google at all. The app has the URL to the Google spreadsheet plugged into it as part of setting up the app. The device needs to be within range of the Tilt to communicate with the Tilt via Bluetooth. That is what allows the app to log the data from the Tilt to the Google spreadsheet.

Move the device far enough away from the Tilt or take the device to work with you and you get no data logged to the Google spreadsheet.

I would also suggest keeping the device plugged into a power source. Otherwise the device will use up all of the battery over the course of the day.

Cheers! :mug:

I use my old smartphone with my Tilt to transmit my data to the cloud. I also no longer use the google spreadsheet and instead log all my data to the recipe itself with www.brewstat.us
The phone just sits by my ferm chamber and transmits to the cloud so I end up with a nice detailed graph logging the full fermentation, ABV, attenuation etc. So far my only issues with the Tilt are a few times after the battery change I have to calculate the SG readings a couple times.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows you how to setup the tilt with the Brewpi?

I went through this exercise a couple of months back and it's not terribly difficult although it wasn't as plug and play as the github instructions made it out to be (it was complicated by the fact I am using multiple arduinos and tilts with a single RPI). If you run into any issues, ping me and I'll see if I can help.

I went through this exercise a couple of months back and it's not terribly difficult although it wasn't as plug and play as the github instructions made it out to be (it was complicated by the fact I am using multiple arduinos and tilts with a single RPI). If you run into any issues, ping me and I'll see if I can help.

Def will jmark thank you. I just got my tilt in today and will be tying to set
It up with my Pi tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

There's a pretty lengthy thread on here about the Tilt that I've been pretty active in. I used to be pretty enthusiastic about them, but somewhere along the way they started having some problem which have been noticed by others on here as well.

Before buying you might want to have a read through this post, which is my pretty honest review/opinion of the product, and this one detailing the response of the company when I reached out to them about some of those issues.

Agree with all this, I have one and use it, but it's very much like a novelty gimmick more than a scientific instrument. To me, based on what it can do it's about $50-75 too expensive. It's convenient not having to open the conical to take a reading, but honestly I didn't really take too many readings before the tilt, I just let the ferment go until I know it was stopped and checked with a precision hydrometer or adjusted refractometer.

So it's a novelty to see the report out of the fermentation trend, but for me the information of past events is not terribly actionable data - and for me, I'm not particularly fascinated by line graphs.

I use an SS conical for fermenting inside a temp-controlled wine fridge so I am able to control the things I want to control. Before tilt multi-temps fermentation were done with a combo of guesswork and/or sampling from the sampling port.

Overall, I'm happy with mine using it to satisfy my curiosity (what's it say for an SG now?) but that's about it. For that I wish it cost $75. I already get temps from a thermowell proble to control the fridge. I also stopped charting my ferments because for me it's just easier to check in realtime on the phone or iPad when I'm near the fermenter (spot check) and I remember what the previous reading was so I ca confirm fermentation is either continuing or stopped. I also use the spot check to determine timing of dry hop additions or d-rest or whatever.

If you're already into brew-pi and the gadget/tech route and that's a part of brewing you enjoy and enjoy tinkering with then tilt may be totally up your alley.

Hi,

Been reading this thread with interest, and am seriously tempted (as a gadget fan) to order a Tilt.

I don't (yet) have a BrewPi, but do have a Stainless Conical within a temperature controlled wine fridge. (Inkbird ITC308 - temp probe inside thermowell.

With this in mind, do you think there is any point in my going down the BrewPi route? What are the pros/cons of BrewPi versus using, for example, an Android tablet/Tilt App/Google spreadsheet combo?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

MBC:)

I got a Tilt as part of a package deal from a previous brewer. Can someone give me a brief step process to get started? I already loaded the App and looked at the Tilt site.

I replaced the battery and saw a purple LED. I know I would float in a glass of water to start the calibration process. What next? Directions are not real clear. Thanks.

[...]What are the pros/cons of BrewPi versus using, for example, an Android tablet/Tilt App/Google spreadsheet combo?

Tilt on its own it simply an SG meter. You'd still need something to control your wine fridge.
BrewPi would replace your ITC308 thermostat with a quasi PID controller
that provides a fully functional web interface with charting.
With the Tilt data integrated into the BrewPi graphing API you'd add an extra level of observation to your fermentation process...that you can access from pretty much anywhere...

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The wine fridge temperature is already controlled by the ITC308 (fridge cooling/greenhouse heater warming).

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that with a Tilt sending data (via bluetooth to an Android device - and then through the Tilt App via wi-fi to google), the temperature and SG could both be recorded in a similar way to that done by the BrewPi. Is that wrong? Is it just the end presentation (table/graph etc) that is different perhaps?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The wine fridge temperature is already controlled by the ITC308 (fridge cooling/greenhouse heater warming).

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that with a Tilt sending data (via bluetooth to an Android device - and then through the Tilt App via wi-fi to google), the temperature and SG could both be recorded in a similar way to that done by the BrewPi. Is that wrong? Is it just the end presentation (table/graph etc) that is different perhaps?

Exactly, you can use the Tilt standalone, send the data via an Android device or Apple device to a Google sheet for display, OR use a BrewPi

The Tilt is not a conroller. It just shows you the progression of the Gravity and the temperature. But that is what I like about it, I can track what is happening to my beer.

Any interest in a WiFi connected digital hydrometer and temperature monitor for around $50.00? This would be an IoT and possibly a gofundme project. It would use the same principle as the iSpindle/Tilt by measuring the change in buoyancy inclination during fermentation. Trying to see what the demand would be. I would integrate it to the BrewPi but could be used as a standalone device also.
I have only been brewing since Dec. 17, 2014 but I use all 3 fermenters - glass carboy, buckets and 13gal SS conical. I started with a singled 8 gal kettle but now use a MoreBeer.com 50L Tippy Dump digital stainless steel brewsculpture (vintage 2007).

AT $50.00, yes I would be interested! One Tilt is good, but two or three digital hydrometers are even better, for multiple fermentations.

Any interest in a WiFi connected digital hydrometer and temperature monitor for around $50.00? This would be an IoT and possibly a gofundme project. It would use the same principle as the iSpindle/Tilt by measuring the change in buoyancy inclination during fermentation. Trying to see what the demand would be. I would integrate it to the BrewPi but could be used as a standalone device also.
I have only been brewing since Dec. 17, 2014 but I use all 3 fermenters - glass carboy, buckets and 13gal SS conical. I started with a singled 8 gal kettle but now use a MoreBeer.com 50L Tippy Dump digital stainless steel brewsculpture (vintage 2007).

Brewed the first time in a while on sunday and pitched in the tilt for the first time on this brew. Wow, So neat.

Of course it's not necessary. However, I have spent an awful lot of time the last few days refreshing the google sheet and staring at the charts :)

If after a few brews, i'm still happy with it i'd consider picking up another. But the current price is a bit high for more than 1. (I rarely have more than 2 fermentations going so that should be sufficient for a while).

If the price point shifted a bit I can see buying a bunch of them.

I am finishing up my first brew with a Tilt right now, a Marzen. It was really nice being able to monitor gravity and temps. I am doing back to back brew days this weekend, so I bought a second unit.

I've been using my brewing tablet to update my Google sheets, but I have built a RaspberryPi and installed the TiltPi image on it. Hardware was only $15 and about an hour to set it all up. Being a geeky tech guy, I love all the data points (currently over 2400 points on my Marzen). Probably won't go as far as tying it into a fermentation controller. I can just call my son in the middle of the day and have him adjust the Inkbird if I need to. :D

Back