Tilt hydrometer vs thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glugglug

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m fermenting with a tilt hydrometer for the first time. I have an stc1000 hooked up to my refrigerator. The probe on etc is in the thermowell. It is reading about 8.4c (about 47 degrees), and the tilt is reading 56f. Which one do I believe? And what do you do in this situation.

Pull out the probe from the thermowell and validate it against something with known temperature. Pour a glass of water, get it to about 50 degrees, checking w/ another thermometer. Then put the probe from the thermowell in it and see how close it is.

is the thermowell in the beer, from how you described it is just in the refrigerator.
Did you calibrate the tilt, During fermentation heat is produced, if thermowell is not inside fermentor, then that would be why you have the difference.

I am no expert i also use a Tilt and have the temp probe of the temp controller strapped to side of fermentor.From recommendations on here.

I normally see a couple of degree swing

Good idea with the water. Tilt was calibrated right before I put it in the fermenter. Thermowell is in the fermenter. Thank you for the replies. I guess my final question is which do you trust more?

Good idea with the water. Tilt was calibrated right before I put it in the fermenter. Thermowell is in the fermenter. Thank you for the replies. I guess my final question is which do you trust more?

The question should be, do you trust the probe in the thermowell? If you've brewed good beer using that as your temperature reference, then I'd go with that.

But I'd still validate it--maybe you've had the wrong temp all along.

Pull the probe out of your thermowell and put it in a jug of ice water. If it gets down to 32 or 33 F in twenty minutes or so, I'd believe that one.

I use a thermowell with an inkbird probe and a tilt. My tilt and inkbird never match temps but are usually within 1 - 2 degrees of each other. I think that would be an expected variation from the top to roughly the bottom of the fermenter. I've never had to calibrate the temp on the tilt. Checked it a few times to make sure it matched against other thermometer readings.
Another possibility is to make sure no liquid (I.e. sanitizer, etc) got into the thermowell and may be throwing off the probe. I've seen that before if I have a blow over and the thermowell gets liquid in it. The probe temps will swing more if that happens.

:eek::eek::eek:
I use a thermowell with an inkbird probe and a tilt. My tilt and inkbird never match temps but are usually within 1 - 2 degrees of each other. I think that would be an expected variation from the top to roughly the bottom of the fermenter. I've never had to calibrate the temp on the tilt. Checked it a few times to make sure it matched against other thermometer readings.
Another possibility is to make sure no liquid (I.e. sanitizer, etc) got into the thermowell and may be throwing off the probe. I've seen that before if I have a blow over and the thermowell gets liquid in it. The probe temps will swing more if that happens.

I would think it would make the probe more accurate since there is liquid to act as a thermal pathway from sidewall of the thermowell to the probe. Why would it throw off the temp?:eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

I would think it would make the probe more accurate since there is liquid to act as a thermal pathway from sidewall of the thermowell to the probe. Why would it throw off the temp?:eek:

My understanding is that some probes aren't supposed to get wet. If that's the case, a flooded thermowell could throw everything off.

I had an extremely bizarre fermentation problem a few weeks ago and wondered if it might be a probe issue. Grabbed my thermapen from the kitchen and stuck it in the thermowell with the controller probe for 20 minutes. They were different by 0.4F. Not the probe!

I had same issue and wondered which one to trust. I think you are correct about the temperature differences between the top vs the bottom of the fermenter. I took my handheld temperature probe (sanitized of course) and check temperature at the top and bottom of beer. Both Inkbird and Tilt were correct. I just lower temperature the night before. I suspect they will equalize eventually.

Back