Tilt Hydrometer Cracked/Leaked During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently used my Tilt to track a beer’s fermentation and about 4 or 5 days in, it stopped working. After I bottled and had a chance to look at the Tilt, I noticed a small amount of wort had gotten in through a crack located at the threaded end of its plastic casing. Here is a photo of what it looked like when I pulled it out:

D6A4709B-9018-4985-9969-E95D1C89A25A.jpeg

Both my fiancée and I have sampled the beer several times throughout the brew as well as when during bottling about a week ago without any ill effects and aside from a bit of acetyladelhyde (likely due to me under-pitching), it tastes fine. Would it be ok for me to serve the beer at a party or is this a beer that I need to dump? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't be concerned about consuming the beer.
I would be concerned about paying so much for a brick...

Cheers!
That’s a separate issue that I am taking up with Tilt/Northern Brewer/my credit card company, but you are 100% correct. Thanks for the feedback.

man..that sucks. Like day_trippr said, I'm sure the beer is fine. Beer went in, probably not out so nothing to worry about.

How old is your device? How did you clean it?

I know they sell replacement tubes, washers and all that, but I'm not certain what the recommended replacement schedule is?

I can't believe how big that crack is did it develop in the brew or was it already starting when you received it? I'm super surprised that cracked like it did.

In my experience tilt customer service is very good.

Got it at the end of January but have only brewed 4 batches on it and I normally clean it with Star San (as I have heard that soaking it in PBW/One Step can cause cracking.)

I can't believe how big that crack is did it develop in the brew or was it already starting when you received it? I'm super surprised that cracked like it did.

In my experience tilt customer service is very good.
I agree, I was surprised about that too. I certainly didn’t notice any cracking when the brew started (as I wouldnt have used it if I did) or any time before then, but I suppose it could have been initially obscured by the threading before it got that big. Having said that, the case cracking without the Tilt suffering any kind of “trauma” is pretty much the one thing that should NEVER happen with this device so I am glad to hear that Tilt has good customer service. Thanks.

Got it at the end of January but have only brewed 4 batches on it and I normally clean it with Star San (as I have heard that soaking it in PBW/One Step can cause cracking.)

Yeah I avoid PBW because it can cause cracking. I usually rinse it off real well and then sanitize with Starsan and on to the next brew.

Hey all,

I recently used my Tilt to track a beer’s fermentation and about 4 or 5 days in, it stopped working. After I bottled and had a chance to look at the Tilt, I noticed a small amount of wort had gotten in through a crack located at the threaded end of its plastic casing. Here is a photo of what it looked like when I pulled it out:

View attachment 745720

Both my fiancée and I have sampled the beer several times throughout the brew as well as when during bottling about a week ago without any ill effects and aside from a bit of acetyladelhyde (likely due to me under-pitching), it tastes fine. Would it be ok for me to serve the beer at a party or is this a beer that I need to dump? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Has their CS gotten back to you? I’m curious to know what their response was.

Mine did the same a few months ago. They replaced it for me free of charge once i sent them pics and information. Great customer service experience

Back