Tig Welded Krausen Capture Device

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcpilot

Reaction score
The inspiration for this goes to CSI's Westvleteren 12 thread and the explosive fermentation I had. I had 5.5 gallons in a 14 gallon conical and the krausen climbed all that head space and went into the blowoff jar.

attachment.php

There was a half inch of yeast in the blowoff jar after high krausen. In his thread CSI showed a lab version, and a stainless version of a krausen capture setup. It always seemed a shame that I couldn't use yeast that had been expelled from the blowoff tube.

The device is 16 gauge stainless plate welded to 5/8" OD, 1/2" ID stainless tubing. I ordered Eco Jarz stainless large mouth bands, silicone gaskets, and lids. At first I tried to use the eco jarz lids but they distorted when I tried to punch or drill a hole in them. They are very thin and I probably would have blown right through them with the welder.

So my theory is that the 1/2" ID silicone blowoff tube will hook up the long dip tube. The yeast will be deposited into the bottom of a sanitized 1/2 gallon mason jar. The C02 will go out the port that's flush with the lid and into a jar of sanitizer. I haven't tried this out yet but I will post pictures when I do.

I also welded up a 1.5" triclover ferule to a mason jar lid to attach to the cone dump valve of the conical. The thought is to let trub settle out after transfer, close the valve and remove the trub.

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

I wonder if you could drill a couple of holes slightly smaller than the rubber tubing OD and instead of stainless tubing just run the rubber tubing through the holes. Maybe stick grommets in the holes if the edges are sharp.

I wonder if you could drill a couple of holes slightly smaller than the rubber tubing OD and instead of stainless tubing just run the rubber tubing through the holes. Maybe stick grommets in the holes if the edges are sharp.

That sounds like it would work. You could probably use the stainless lids that eco jarz sells. They are very thin gauge. One issue with the 16 gauge plate I used is the combined thickness with the silicone gasket. The stainless ring from eco jarz is deeper than the standard mason jar rings, and barely catches enough threads to make an airtight seal. I will probably just grind down the plate or buy some 18 or 20 gauge if I decide to make more of them.

Finally brewed the Westvleteren 12 again. This time it was 12 gallons in a 14 gallon conical. The yeast was stepped up from a slant and the first day of fermentation has been very aggressive. The krausen capture device works but I need a larger jar.

IMG_7949.jpg

does it look like you will get any viable yeast? I like the KISS mentality mixed in with the go for it attitude! I've never thought of making a mason jar adaptor. Great idea!

Nice work.

Is that a bucket of overflow krausen from your krausen capture jar? :fro:

Yes it is! I emptied the krausen capture jar twice for a total of 600ml of slurry back into the fermenter. The blue blowoff bucket had a half inch of slurry on the bottom. I'm going to try a larger cantainer on the next big Belgian.

I bought a couple of jar adapters similar to this a couple months ago from Nor Cal to make the Westvleteren 12 clone. Glad to see it works as I have yet to brew said clone.:ban:

Back