Thyme garden- any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody dealt with them before? I ordered some Rhizomes from them and can't seem to get them to respond via email. It is kinda creeping me out. I am a small business owner myself so I understand they probably don't have a crapload of people just to respond to inquiries...just kind of concerned.

Thyme garden is physically located in an area that broadband isn't too likely. They're also very hippy... I've physically been to their garden (gorgeous) as I used to live about 40 minutes away. People here have ordered with good results.

I've ordered from them last year, and I didn't have any issues. They won't send the rhizomes until they are pulled from the ground, which would be starting around the beginning of March.

I ordered from there about a month ago. At first my order wouldn't go through so I emailed them. They responded in the next day and said sometimes it has issues, but the order went through the next day. Haven't gotten the rhizomes yet though as they won't come till march.

I also placed an order with them and have received a confirmation via email. Looking forward to my first hop growing experiance and decided to go with them because of the variety they had along with organic gardening practices.

Anybody dealt with them before? I ordered some Rhizomes from them and can't seem to get them to respond via email. It is kinda creeping me out. I am a small business owner myself so I understand they probably don't have a crapload of people just to respond to inquiries...just kind of concerned.

Well, They got back with me. I was just being psycho. I got their email wrong in classic fashion. Consider inquiry withdrawn.

I've purchased rhizomes from Freshhops, Thyme Garden, and a local brewstore who got them from an unknown source. The local brewstore plants were weak and non-producing on their first year. Product from Freshops and Thyme Garden were strong growers and produced some hops. I am also a part time gardener and typically buy my seed from Thyme Garden as well. Each seed packet has instructions specific to the seed concerning how germinate that seed and get it going.

I'm very happy with my experiences at Freshops and Thyme Garden. I'm plan to buy from Thyme Garden again.

Hope this helps.

I got some rhizomes from Thyme garden last year and they didn't do well at all. However, last year was a horrible growing season so it might just be the bad weather that hindered my hops and not the product itself.

I got 8 rhizomes from them a few years back and all but 1 took they are doing great would buy from them again.

I ordered from them about two months back. I sent them a friendly email just to hear if all is on track. They responded in about a day. They have gotten most of their rhizomes out of the ground now except for two varieties still to go. I think if you ordered early you're in good shape.

I ordered from them about two months back. I sent them a friendly email just to hear if all is on track. They responded in about a day. They have gotten most of their rhizomes out of the ground now except for two varieties still to go. I think if you ordered early you're in good shape.

I guess that means I'm in bad shape...just ordered a few rhizomes from TG today. :( Maybe, if I'm lucky, there hasn't been an abundance of pre-orders this year...but I'm not counting on it. As long as I can get 'em in the ground by early April, that's fine by me.

On a side note, what are you growing over there in Great Bend? I suppose it's really too late for me to ask what you'd recommend for 5b/6a hardiness zone (I'm in KC), but I'm interested in hearing what you're planting anyway. I ordered Cascade, Chinook, and Fuggle with possible substitutes of Centennial and Goldings. Hopefully I can get these guys to flourish without mildew, aphids, and other general baddies. I'm not exactly what you'd call a seasoned gardener, but I can keep most plants happy except for my damned orchids...

Minus the great hop shortage, I've never had an issue getting rhizomes. I wouldn't worry about it. Your first year will be few to none. It's a foundation year. They'll come when they come and you'll be fine. A couple years from now, you won't even care about when they showed up and what little you grew that first year.

Just an update...I ordered on 3/3 and received my Cascade, Chinook, and Fuggle today, 3/28. The rhizomes appear to be healthy with slight moisture in the ziplock bags.

The Chinook and Fuggle rhizomes are the smallest at around 1/4-3/8" diameter at the thickest point each with a couple shoots. The Cascade is a chunk...about 3/4" at the thickest section and has 6-8 shoots already.

I'll up some pics if anyone is interested.

I also received mine 2 weeks ago. 2 cascade and 2 centinnials, but for me the cascades were only about 1/2" in diameter and the centinnials were much thicker, about an inch in diameter. I dug under the mulch just a little yesterday and could see one shoot about to pop out from one of the centinnials.

Was gone on a fishing trip all last week but when I got back this weekend all 4 of my rhizomes I got from Thyme Garden had sprouts. Each one has at least 2 sprouts, about 2 inches tall, and a few have 3 or 4 sprouts. Looks like I'll have 4 good hop plants.

I ordered 3 rhizomes from them early this year during their early march pre-order days. I got my Cascade, Northern Brewer, and Hallertau all of which are now sprouting well and have multiple shoots coming out of the dirt. I can't say anything bad about Thyme Garden.

beerloaf

Here are some pics....

cascade
2088bbk.jpg

Hallertau
2ib0ynk.jpg

Northern Brewer
290znh2.jpg

So I won't say anything bad about the Thyme Garden.

My hops from thyme garden are strong growers. I also buy all my herb seed from them and have had great results. I'm a happy repeat customer.

ive got rhizomes from midwest supplies and thyme garden. The ones from thyme garden were triple the size of the midwest ones.

Back